GAS PRICES

We were talking about gas prices today. ( it's $2.55 a gallon in our area )

TV news claims they've gone up by 73 cents this year.

I remember dollar-a-gallon gas. Pretty sure it was about 2 years ago.

Anyone with a good memory here ? When was gas a buck-a-gallon ?

How did it get to this price ? It wasn't a gradual nickle-a-week raise......

Reply to
Anonymous

I remember $.25 a gal. And they pumped it washed the windows, check the oil or asked if you wanted it check.

Reply to
Tim & Linda

Looks like the big jumps have been during the Bush years. I wonder what his profits have been with the interest he has in oil

Reply to
Tim & Linda

I recently heard an old-timer make an interesting remark. His analogy was that a gallon of gasoline was still cheaper than a gallon of Coke. At the time, he was drinking a little, old, 7-oz bottle of Coke--they sell for a dollar in our area. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

The old Coke had more zip to it then a gallon of gas now a days.

Reply to
Tim & Linda

I have *literally* heard that! But you're talking about a time....well, I'm not that old--so cut it out!!! :) Have a good day! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

That was probably in the 60's? In 1968 the Purple Martin stations and the Owens stations had frequent gas wars and for most of the summer, gas could be had for ten cents a gallon, at least in Burlington, Iowa. At the Martin stations, you also got a free water glass for each 5 gal. purchase. Other premiums were offered, but I can't remember what they were. I did have quite a collection of water glasses, though. :-)

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Basically, demand has caught up with supply. No new refineries built for decades, so when an old one breaks down supply is interrupted. And the billions of dollars worth of goods we buy from China each year is providing them with funds to build more factories. Now they are buying oil like there is no tomorrow.

Reply to
Scott

And the oil companies report enough profit in one quarter to build a two new refineries

Reply to
Tim & Linda

If I had NO tax on a gallon of gas. I would save $.44 per gal in Michigan.

Reply to
Tim & Linda

Some actual prices paid - I keep track of what I run through the vehicle. Prices include .389 combined state and federal tax per gallon.

Dates/ prices: August 99 $1.159 Jan 2000 $1.299 Jun 2000 $1.559 Jan 2001 $1.279 Jun 2001 $1.569 Jan 2002 $0.979 Jun 2002 $1.402 Jan 2003 $1.399 Jun 2003 $1.329 Jan 2004 $1.439 Jun 2004 $1.839 Jan 2005 $1.659 Mar 2005 $1.999 Jul 2005 $2.119

Reply to
Merlin

And the roads would be just as bad!

Reply to
bite_me_48706

We are at $108 a litre here in Victoria BC with promises of it going higher. Now if only my salary would.

Reply to
Jan

This sounds like a pretty cool Idea.

Should send a strong message if it gets any support

CC

"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Big Earl