Professional advice needed removing pitman arm

I'm removing the pitman arm on a 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton, 4X4, 5.0 liter. I've removed the rod side but I can't get it off the steering box. I can't get a puller on it because the frame is right in the way. I pounded and pounded on a pickle fork to no avail. Do I have to remove the steering box? If so, it looks like I have to remove the fender too, right? Is there any harm in using a pickle fork? I'm thinking of tapering the pickle fork a bit to get more friction and leverage.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Seems you need a different puller. Probably the one with a "cup" on it. Dont beat on it with a pickle fork. There are bearings/moving parts in there.

Reply to
Scott

I'm sorry if I sounded like I didn't know what a pitman arm puller is. I tried several of them and none of them fit in the 1.5 inch clearance between the end of the stearing box bolt and the frame. If you've worked on the aforementioned vehicle you know what I'm talking about - if not you probably think I'm an idiot that doesn't know what a pitman arm puller is. Anyway, I guess I'm stuck with pulling the stearing box -- unless someone has a better idea, or will condone pounding on the joint with a pickle fork. I've already beat on the fork it as hard as I can (with a 10 lb dumbbell) so I don't know if I could do any more damage than I've already done.

Still looking for more opinions...

Thanks!

Dan

Dan wrote in news:k1dnb.41758$Fm2.17346@attbi_s04:

Reply to
Dan

you've already f*cked up your steering box by pounding on it. you're going to have to pull the box now (or a short time from now) and replace it. you can put your new pitman arm on your new steering box. in short DON'T use a pickle fork on a steering box, ever.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Ok so I beat on it last week with a pickle fork. What's done is done. Obviously I'm not going to replace my steering gear because someone on the internet says it may be damaged. What tests are there to determine if there is damage and to what extent?

I've learned my lesson, but just so everyone knows -- last week before pounding on it I went to all the rental places and parts places in town looking for a pitman arm puller with a 1.25" opening (what is required). I rented 4 or 5 of them and none of them fit. I go by the book unless all else fails, so the pickle fork was a last resort.

Thanks for the help and patience,

Dan

"Dog" wrote in news:9qgnb.1941$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Reply to
Dan

"Dan" wrote

The main test will be to drive the truck with that steering box and see if there are any wierd noises, symptoms (like the steering locks up)...etc.

Man, sometimes it's better just to pay a professional.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Getting paid makes you a professional.... $0.02

Reply to
KJ
.

Snap-On Tools

or....

yer local Chevy Dealer

scribs abell ~R-U~ ======= ======= . . . Re: Professional advice needed removing pitman arm Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 9:23pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dan) I'm sorry if I sounded like I didn't know what a pitman arm puller is. I tried several of them and none of them fit in the 1.5 inch clearance between the end of the stearing box bolt and the frame. If you've worked on the aforementioned vehicle you know what I'm talking about - if not you probably think I'm an idiot that doesn't know what a pitman arm puller is. Anyway, I guess I'm stuck with pulling the stearing box -- unless someone has a better idea, or will condone pounding on the joint with a pickle fork. I've already beat on the fork it as hard as I can (with a 10 lb dumbbell) so I don't know if I could do any more damage than I've already done. Still looking for more opinions... Thanks! Dan

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Not necessarily...I get paid for the work I do on peoples cars...but I am far from the professional...nor do I charge what "professionals" charge....Hell the only reason I take money in the first place is to not get taken advantage of. People think twice, ecpecially when I take the time and explain that there are SOME things that they can do themselves with little or no experience. Most people respect that I would rather them not be over charged by a local garage. BUT on the other hand...I applaud the guys/gals who grind away at the local shops doing what they love...keeping themselves out of trouble.

just my opinion!

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

What's your point? A friend paid me to help him fix his roof once, does that make me a professional roofer? Bob

Reply to
Bob

"KJ" wrote

Let's put it this way....."more" professional then the original poster "Dan". A new steering box will be an expensive lesson.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yes. Look it up.

pro·fes·sion·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-fsh-nl) adj.

Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.

******************************************* Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football. *******************************************

Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

n. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.

************************************************************************** One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house. **************************************************************************

A skilled practitioner; an expert.

Professional means little in my book.

Reply to
KJ

Smash, grab, and run like hell!

KJ's 5 finger discount method of repair

(where he'd find a steering box to steal, who knows) Go buy something cheap ($2 headlight frame) or something like that from a junk yard. Mine doesn't really check whats in your hands when you pull it.... Drop the steering box in your truck and pay for the bracket....

Although.... they do have LARGE fork lifts......

Anyone here ever worked in a boneyard? I always feel so bad for the ppl working there..... I can't imagine that they get paid enough, especially in the winter!?

Reply to
KJ

I'm going to tell ya how to do it, just promise not to hit me with a hammer and pickle fork !! lol:) Take the steering shaft off,it's onlt 1 11mm bolt and pull it off by hand... next pry up on the fender to allow access to all 3 bolts... a prybear here works wonders...next you loosen all 3 bolts and remove 2 of them ... by doing this you can usually tilt the box to allow access with a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm.You may have to remove all 3 but do not remove the lines...as far as the little seal that makes putting the puller on hard , simply use a small screwdriver and work the seal up into the box... it's just a dust seal and wil fall back down when you are done... once it's pulled off, put the new one one, and voila you're done..Don't forget to massage the innner fender back down to hide the bolts.... Bobo

Reply to
Bobo

The part about "Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior," pretty much disallow that it merely be for pay.

"Great skill," that's another good one...

"Learned," again, a good one... (many skills are learned)

There's "skill" again.

It will once you learn what it takes. (recalling comments about living with his parents, which means you are either; young, a failure, unable to support yourself, etc. Basically disqualified from passing judgement.)

No offense.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

~KJ~: Do you get paid? Eightupman: Yes ~KJ~: Your a professional. Eightupman: I disagree. ~KJ~:

it isn't an opinion, but a fact.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Hmm, would you call an Olympic bob-sled team professional, because of the skill and learnedness of them? Well there not - they don't get paid. Once you get paid, you are legally professional.

Why with my parents? I graduated last summer.

Why am I not allowed to pass judgment? Because your a stuck up, old, and opinionated? Or because I'm indifferent, young, and neutral?

Offence taken, your obviously a professional and do not like the fact that the legal nature of that is simply the fact you get paid. It means no detriment to your skills, but is also no testament to them. Guess I found the button to poke?

~KJ A young failure unable to support himself~

Reply to
KJ

That you believe that olympic rules have anything to do with what constitutes a professional is laughable.

I didn't ask, I observed. BTW, what did you graduate from?

Because you don't know jack shit.

Because you don't know jack shit.

Everyone wishes they were as smart as they were when they were 18.

Wow, if lawyers make so little that they have to live with their parents, I'm really glad I didn't go into that profession.

Get back to me in 20 years or so, will ya...

You guess wrong.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Hi!

Ferget the dictionary...and besides, nowhere did I really see that stated as clearly as you do.

Being paid to do something increases the likelihood that you're a professional--but here in the real world it doesn't guarantee it.

Think about it KJ, you surely know people who have been paid to do something and the results were, shall we say, nonexistant or a little less than professional.

Just my $0.02 and probably my last comment before this turns into a flame war...

William The Guesser -- guessing at the meaning of words when using them and getting strange looks now and then!

Reply to
William R. Walsh