pitman arm install...'88 chevy

just wanted to know if theres an easy way to put in the new pitman arm....its jamming in the relay arm and the powersteering box.....don't really want to hammer real hard ,for fear of messing up the threads...if anyone could help me with this l'd be very gratfully' thank you

Reply to
flippercandoit

Like, using a pitman arm puller?

Reply to
PeterD

having the same problem is there any tool to get the old one of

"flippercandoit" wrote

Reply to
squashy

Pitman arm puller won't work? (Or am I missing something here?)

Reply to
PeterD

I guess a pitman arm puller is the best haven't used one yet. on my dually 1ton 80 I removed the steering box and put one of those bearing clamps(the rap aroung the bottom of the pitman arm to give a place to support the arm while using the press) around it and put it in my homemade 12 ton hydraulic press there was a big bang and it was off. Only went on one way IIRC.

Reply to
Ed ke6bnl

The 1988 up C/K GM trucks are a pain in the rear to do a pitman arm on. The hardest part is the nut retaining the arm. Even our highest torque

1/2 drive impact couldn't budge one that was fight us. Ended up one guy holding the socket and breaker bar in place, 2 of us pushing on a 5 foot jack handle over the breaker bar. Ended up breaking a snap on breaker bar, and bending a proto breaker bar. The snap on lasted threw the initial 1/2 turn.

We had even heated it with a torch first.

Once the nut was off a good pitman arm puller and a 1/2 drive long handle ratchet took care of the arm. You may have to put forth a high amount of torque on a puller to get the arm to start moving. Do not use a low quality puller!

If you have access to a air compressor that will supply roughly 120 to

150 P.S.I., and can rent or barrow a high torque 3/4 drive or 1 inch drive impact, you should. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig