Installing lift kit

I ordered a 4" lift kit today for my TJ. I'm wondering if you guys know of any specialized tools that I may need to install the lift. I have basic hand tools, jack stands, air compressor and tools. Is there anything like a pickle fork or something odd like that that would come in handy during the install?

This is the kit I ordered BTW:

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Maybe spring compressors to get the new springs in. I needed them for my spacer lift anyway. I got mine at Pep Boys... you basically 'buy' them, but then they give you your money back if you return them after you're done. Also, the front shocks, where they mount at the top, took an odd metric wrench as I recall. Don't remember the exact size, but I ended up making a run to pick up a new wrench... you may want to check that.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Dennis,

I needed a pitman arm puller and I used a small pickle fork to disconnect the sway eliminator link. You might what to think about getting a slip yoke eliminator kit with a CV drive shaft (see

so you do not lower you transfer case. HTH

benito -

76 CJ7

Dennis Cox wrote:

Reply to
John Benito

Definatly a spring compressor. I needed one for the left front on my

2" kit. Be carefull when putting that in if you pry down on the axle. It will bend!
Reply to
sleddog05468

What the heck are you guys working on?????

I helped a gent do a 2" spacer lift on his TJ and 'all' his springs just fell out on the ground as soon as the sway bar and shock were unbolted. No spring compressors needed and I 'think' we needed an 18 mm wrench for something.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

Yes the stock springs basically fall out if you get the body up high enough, the real challenge is getting the longer new springs installed with the longer stops in place. A spring compressor makes the job straight forward and a lot safer.

benito -

76 CJ7

Mike Roma> What the heck are you guys working on?????

Reply to
John Benito

I helped do a 4" recently and we used a big pry bar to get the rear springs in, the fronts went right in. You will need a pitman arm puller and maybe a pickle fork.

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
twaldron

Well that is not what I found when I did my lift, the break line was not long enough to move the front axle far enough to get the spring in place.

benito -

76 CJ7

twaldr> There is no reason to use a spring compressor unless you are trying to

Reply to
John Benito

I believe we had more than one jack going also and I remember setting the longer bumpstops in solidly after the spring was in place.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I really wanted to say "brake line".

benito -

76 CJ7

John Benito wrote:

Reply to
John Benito

OK, so you had the bump stops in the spring when you put the spring in place, then attached the bump stops working through the spring?

benito -

76 CJ7

Mike Roma> I believe we had more than one jack going also and I remember setting

Reply to
John Benito

That would imply you need longer brake lines to me....

Mike

John Benito wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I believe so. If I remember right they just pushed into place pretty easily before we jacked it down.

Mike

John Benito wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain