Purchasing a DANA 60 rear axle.

Dearest Group, I am considering purchasing a DANA 60 rear axle from a private party. I have not seen the axle yet, it is in the next state over. Here is what I was able to find out about the axle;

1: 100K plus 2: Open carrier 3: 3.55 gears (if he recalls correctly) 4: No drums (but he thinks the can find them or someone who will have some) 5: Reason being sold; basically has a 1998 Chevy and a banshee that he is pouring his money into, this was for a K5 that he got rid of (as is the sheet metal that I am picking up).

Asking price: $100

Bad things;

1: 100K plus 2: Open carrier 3: 3.55 gears (if he recalls correctly) 4: No drums (but he thinks the can find them or someone who will have some)

My thought is however since it won't be going right under the truck that it would be a perfect core. I could go in & freshen up seals/bearings/what not, drop some kind of a locker in there with like 4.56 gears and do a disk conversion. That should cover 1-4???

Should I haggle or is this a good deal? Sounds like it's a really good price to me, but I also don't deal with these things daily.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Cheryl and Rob

What lug pattern is it? 5-6-8? Just asking cause I don't ever recall hearing about a factory D60 rear in any K5. Are you 8 lugged now why not get a

14boltFF, thoes are dirt cheap around here. Like $50 at the local wreckers (thats Canadian dollars) Personally I wouldn't drive across the city for a non-complete D60 rear. A D70 rear maybe. I've got 2 14bolts in the back yard right now. Dime a dozen.

Reply to
Demon

Not factory, but it was slated for a K5

IIRC they have a larger pumpkin = less ground clearance.

Never heard of them.

Close to southern NH?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

. .

. .

Cut outs are running around $400 - $600 around here KJ. (Pensacola)

The price sounds great....almost too good? I'd say go for it if you have a use for the setup.

Jest be carefull bud, check it out real good before you go spending the beer fund.

let us know,

marsh ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Purchasing a DANA 60 rear axle. Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Aug 4, 2004, 12:01am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@becomes.me (GMC=A0Gremlin) Dearest Group, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I am considering purchasing a DANA 60 rear axle from a private party. I have not seen the axle yet, it is in the next state over. Here is what I was able to find out about the axle;

1: 100K plus 2: Open carrier 3: 3.55 gears (if he recalls correctly) 4: No drums (but he thinks the can find them or someone who will have some) 5: Reason being sold; basically has a 1998 Chevy and a banshee that he is pouring his money into, this was for a K5 that he got rid of (as is the sheet metal that I am picking up). Asking price: $100 Bad things; 1: 100K plus 2: Open carrier 3: 3.55 gears (if he recalls correctly) 4: No drums (but he thinks the can find them or someone who will have some)

My thought is however since it won't be going right under the truck that it would be a perfect core.

I could go in & freshen up seals/bearings/what not, drop some kind of a locker in there with like 4.56 gears and do a disk conversion. That should cover 1-4???

Should I haggle or is this a good deal? Sounds like it's a really good price to me, but I also don't deal with these things daily. GMC Gremlin =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

A Dana 60 is a B*TCH to work on. Changing bearings is no "walk in the park." I'm with the guy that suggested a 14 bolt or even the 9 1/2" axle. If the Dana is a full floater, most are, and the hubs and drums are gone, I'd walk away from it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I don't know what IIRC means but...... You're looking at it all wrong. {larger pumpkin = stronger} Shave the 14bolt pumpkin if you really want, nets you about 1 1/2". For strength, by God if you've broken a 14boltFF you've done something VERY WRONG.

Never heard of a D70? Hmmm. Dana Corp's strength equvalent to the Corp14boltFF. 1.5" shafts. But 14bolt has the extra pinion bearing.

NH? New Hampshire? Not even close, well I'm not even sure where that is. I'm southern Alberta near the Rockies.

Reply to
Demon

Another plus for the 14bolt is, readily availiable and easy to find disk brake convertion kits or parts. And a Detroit locker is cheap, you have to have an open carrier to start with (not the gov-lock carrier) The crosspins are different.

Reply to
Demon