Question? 307 Chevy 220 horse

I never said that the 4.3 wasnt grossly over carbed.

Spinning an otherwise stock 307 to 7grand...homiside.

About the formula...I have been using it for about 14yrs. I know its supposed to be max RPM and not cruise RPM. I aint yellin about it, just punctuating. BTW, max RPM doesnt mean RPM till self destruct, it means RPM to saflt set max HP redline.

Once again, I wasnt yellin, and I didnt mean to make this into a boxing match. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

Reply to
Shades

no no...I don't mind a bit of banter by any means. I put the higher numbers in there to illustrate the point. No matter what way you cut it...the 307 would be quite a bit overcarbed with your setup.

Reply to
Eightupman

I have known MANY 500 Performers installed on 305's and 307's with awesome results. Equations are a good starting point but dont reflect realworld test and tune results. I have equations for 1/4mile ET and top speed possabilities and low gear and rear gear recomendations. They can get close, but the real world usually is at least a bit different.

Factory quadrajets are only as small as 750CFM(as far as I have ever come across). 350's had as much as 795CFM Q-jets.

It all comes down to set-up and tuning...I'm sure we can agree on that at least...

Reply to
Shades
100% agreed on that.....I wish I could tune carbs, as well as I know the mechanics of them

Reply to
Eightupman

I have spent MANY years learning the ins and outs of Q-jets and am pretty good with rebuilding and tuning em. I have started to get pretty good with the Performers...but got more to go. Now I have a TBI engine that I cant get running right! AAAARRRRGGGGGG

Reply to
Shades

LOL, welcome to the world of computer redundancy. Fuel injection is nice, untill you have a problem and then it's 10 times harder to fix/diagnose than with a carb.

Soon as the funds are accessible, I'll be getting rid of my TBI truck for an older model with NO computer! I'm tired of chasing problems... if this was a carbureted engine, I'd have had it running great 3 months ago when I bought it.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Re: " save you money the 307 is a real dog ............ 283 bore 3.875, 327 stroke 3.25 was designed as a 'low-smog' engine, in the mistaken belief that smaog was caused by 'cooler combustion chamber temps close to the cylinder wall'........the small bore long stroke made the wall per CU IN ratio better also made it doggy '220 HP'.......HA" +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Actually AUTOZONE part # JR 3452-10 Is an adaptor for this motor that allows the use of a carb off an old Briggs and Stratton lawn mower.

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

for this engine. There is a quadrajet on there now and was thing about going to an edelbrock. Input will help. Ted

307 cu in: Each cylinder draws only every second time (so divide by 2) Top RPM probably 6000 for a street engine (so multiply by 6000) Convert to cu ft (divide by 1728) 307 / 2 X 6000

------------------- = 533 CFM 1728

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl
6000 with a 307 ????

HAHAHAHAHA....................

CFM for this engine. There is a quadrajet on there now and was thing about going to an edelbrock. Input will help. Ted

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I have to agree that it would be 1st degree murder to spin a stock 307 at 6K! All in all a 500 would be as big as you want on an otherwise stock

307 but it wouldnt be to big...IN MY OPINION and from my experiance...

recommended

Reply to
Shades

Last I heard a quadrajet IS about 600 CFM.As long as it is jetted and metered correctly this carb is absolutely fine for that motor.

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

Hi Ted,I got to thinking about this and looked up your engine in the book(regrettably-a Haynes) and it lists 307s from 1968-1973 and all of these were 2 barrel carb equipped.I checked 2 other sources including the original GM publication for '69 and they show 2V carbs.By the way the '69 307 had 9.0-1 comp and was rated at 200 gross HP or 157 net.By

1973 that engine was rated at only 115 net.HP. I never saw any reference to a 220 HP 307 c.i. I'm not convinced that a bigger carb.will help you here and a quadrajet would certainly be more than sufficient(The Cadillac 500 C.I. also had a quadrajet,as did the 231 v6 in some applications. You have to get the right size jets and metering rods.I would ask at a carb shop if there is one near you. Best...... Brian ******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

I didn't even think there were any 307's still running!

Reply to
J Grant

Yeah, there are some still running, but barely. Every 307 Chevy that I have ever seen had so much blow-by that they would blow a constant stream of smoke out the breather. All ran like shit too (imagine that).

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell