Re-gear still needed?

Hello all, I dropped off my '03 silverado ext. cab 4.8L 2wd at a shop to have a 7" suspension lift installed. With this kit, they're also putting on 315/70R16 tires on 16x8 wheels. I told the person at the shop that my truck's gearing is 3.42(according to the sticker that came with the truck) and will need to be re-geared 'cause I don't want my tranny frying up on me. He then told me that they can just use Granatelli programmer and reprogram the chip according to what's being done to the truck. Now, will reprogramming the chip alone keep the transmission from burning up with out changing the current gear?

Joe

Reply to
Joe L.

The programmer will correct the shift points in the trans. but the increase in tire size will still put a larger load on the trans. and will greatly reduce your trucks performance. The only way to retain your current perfomance level is to regear your truck.

Reply to
Sid Port

Thanks for that input, I called up the shop to have 4.10 gear put in

Joe

Reply to
Joe L.