E4od / Computer

Could I have a computer problem. if I dissconnect the batt the trans functions well for a trip or two then slipp again. Is there a way to test the ecm without the 150$ dealer test?

Reply to
need fix

I had the transmission overhauled in my '95 Bronco. Upon reinstallation, it exhibited the same behavior you described. I was instructed by the builder, (not a dealership) to unhook the battery, leave for about twenty minutes, then reconnect the battery. Immediately start the truck and drive at a slow and steady pace, preferably on a smooth straight road, until reaching 45-55 mph. I was told not to accelerate abruptly during this reprogramming time. I was told this would effectively reprogram the computer, and the trans would shift properly from then on. My transmission has worked perfectly ever since.

Now, as I have said before in this group, I have a lot of experience as a mechanic, but I'm not a transmission mechanic, so I'm not saying this is how to fix one, but it did straighten out mine.

Good luck,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

probably not

what codes are you seeing ?

what year?

2WD or 4WD ?

engine size ?

model ?

Reply to
TransSurgeon

. . . .

If I dissconnect the batt, the trans functions well for a trip or two then slipp again.

Is there a way to test the ecm without the 150$ dealer test? ======= ======= Thu, Feb 12, 2004, 12:46am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (TransSurgeon)

probably not

what codes are you seeing ?

what year?

2WD or 4WD ?

engine size ?

model ? ========= ========= MarshMonster adds a few more questions.....

Diesel eng?

OD light blinking?

Had the transmission flushed?

. marsh ~agrees.....not likely the computer~ ======== ========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

. . . snipped-for-privacy@stopspamev1.net (need=A0fix)

Could I have a computer problem?

if I dissconnect the batt the trans functions well for a trip or two then slipp again.

Is there a way to test the ecm without the 150$ dealer test? =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

sorry bout the first reply....didn't realize you were the one with the other thread. If your going to start a new thread on the problem, be sure to include all the info that you gave in the first thread.

that said....... here's the answers to yer questions.....

1) You "could" have a computer problem. (but I doubt it)

2) There IS a way to test the ECM without having to pay the Dealer Dude. It's actually kinda simple. All you need is a good electronic manual that's specific to your vehical, that covers EVERY SINGLE component associated with the ECM.

Then.....it's jest a matter of ..... ~Good Input / Bad Output =3D Bad Computer~

So....if you own a good meter (i'm kinda fond of the SnapOn Vantage, though the Flute meter is kinda snappy itself) and you got yerself a couple days to test all them input and output signals.....you'll save yerself that $150.

But.......before you go to all that trouble..... remember.....yer drive'n a Ford. The best darn computer system known to man. About the most complex, multi tasking, data manipulative, driver adaptive, technician friendly system on a vehical to date. It's kinda idiot proof.

well......hope I answered yer questions for you,

by the way, in your other thread, you never said if all those codes wuz setting during KeyOn-EngineOff......and that guy with the scanner that pulled all those codes out.... did he take a look at the Live Data readings?

you might want to start there.....before you spend all that time probing all those inputs and outputs.....

Marsh Monster ~kinda wonders why the trannyshop that charged you fer dat rebuild, 2 months ago, ain't try'n to help you...jest a little~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Yes, go to Harbor Freight and get their OBDII code reader for $39.95 right now.

Reply to
Tyrone

The OBD-II reader will not work on his earlier system. He has 2 digit codes - OBD-II codesa re 3 digit. He either need the shotgun approch where everything gets replaced until something fixes it or, a good technician that understands his system.

Reply to
lugnut

What model year F series, did they switch over to the newer code reader?

Reply to
Tyrone

IIRC, 1996 was trhe first year for OBD-II in the F series. They have different shaped interface connectors. Because of the way Ford went from EEC-IV to EEC-V, there may be a bit of intermingling.

Reply to
lugnut

======== ========

The OBD-II reader will not work on his earlier system. He has 2 digit codes - OBD-II codesa re 3 digit. He either need the shotgun approch where everything gets replaced until something fixes it or, a good technician that understands his system. ======== ======== wrote: message ........

What model year F series, did they switch over to the newer code reader? ======= ======= Re: E4od / Computer Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Thu, Feb 12, 2004, 8:27pm (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (lugnut)

IIRC, 1996 was trhe first year for OBD-II in the F series. They have different shaped interface connectors. Because of the way Ford went from EEC-IV to EEC-V, there may be a bit of intermingling.

any whooo.......

try this....

EEC-IV Troubleshooting Address:

if the system "is" eck4...the connector will be under the hood and the proceedure is the same for ALL eck4 systems....not jest Broncos.

hopefully informative, marshmonster ~:~ ====== ======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Go Here