Re: Sticking Throttle - 89 S10, 2.8L, 5spd, no cruise

You may also try adding an extra spring (or rubber-band or miniture bungi cord to help the return spring). It may make the peddle a little heavier but depending on the spring/rubber you pick and how you rig it - it can work very effectively. My 80 camaro had a similar thing - and it was just that the return spring was old and tierd. A helper-spring fixed it just fine (it was about 1/4" x 5" and over-stretched to the hook-on-points). I rigged it from the throttle-hook-up to a bracket on the valve-cover. On my Harley I use a bungi to help the tierd break-peddle return-spring (similar situation

- though not as safety critical). Elliott

GaWd wrote:

Actually, forget buying new parts for it, try cleaning the throttle body > where the cable hooks up to it with carb cleaner. Chevy TBIs are prone > stickage right here. > > Sam > > > Hello > > > > I've had a problem with the throttle sticking open. It's pretty hard > > to "re-create" the problem and it has only happened twice in the last > > month. > > > > Basically, when putting the pedal all the way to the floor, the > > throttle (or cable) appears to catch on something and stay open. The > > pedal seems to return all the way underfoot, but unfortunately I can't > > confirm this. Shutting the engine off and pumping on the pedal a > > couple times seems to unstick it. > > > > Checking the accelerator cable, everything seems to travel back and > > fourth fine without any catching. I've even tried opening the > > throttle up by hand (engine off) and forcing it all the way to see if > > there is something catching in the actual throttle body. > > > > Long story short, can't find any explanation, not really interested in > > having it happen again (especially in traffic), and I'm looking for > > ideas... Doesn't happen very often, it drives fine the rest of the > > time, but like I said, the two times I've had it happen is when I'm > > litterally stepping on it. > > > > Thanks.
Reply to
reitze