Re: U-joints

I've replaced U-Joints about 5 different times. I originally used a torch to cut out the old ones. But now I just use a hammer (after prying the retaining rings out with a screw-driver&pliers). A 5/8" socket makes a perfect hammer-adapter (hold the socket on the u-joint via some vice-grips, and hit hard with a mini-sledge. And per my post last saturday, the floating-drive-shaft with the new u-joints is going fine (despite my concern about the tailpiece-ball between the ujoints) even after pulling a 5000lb boat for

400mi at 65mph. Aga> Dude- you could have done it with a MAPP torch, you can get at any
home improvement store, auto parts store, etc. Use that, a BFH, and a > prybar. > > It's really not hard. > > > Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like Saturday was not a good day to > > start this project. I was able to find a place that sold torches but no one > > is open to fill the tanks. Looks like Monday it's off to a drive train shop > > to have them remove the u-joints. I bought a vise for the job that I will be > > able to return so hopefully they will only charge $40 or so to remove the > > three u-joints. But I'm still going to miss most of the work day Monday. > > Well, I'll put this one in the lessons learned catagory.
Reply to
reitze