Replacing U-Joints

I am trying to replace 3 u-joints on an 87 Mazda B2000. The manual refers to removing the clips which hold the caps in place and the new units come with clips. The only joint on the driveshafts which has clips is the center joint, the front and rear units look like the metal has been pushed down on the outside of the yoke bores to hold the caps in place. Does anyone here know how I should remove the old units without damaging

the yoke bores?

TIA È

Reply to
Cosmopolite

damaging

Try cleaning the area with a sharp instrument. I believe you will find that, what looks like the metal being pushed into the bores, is nothing more than caked on dirt and grime.

Reply to
Tyrone
< snip >

There is a definite step there, with some notches ( Similar to some lock washers used in electronics ) on the id. At first I thought it may be some type of clip pushed in a groove but it seems like solid metal.

Reply to
Cosmopolite

Some OEM U-joints are not replaceable, but don't know about yours. I had a vehicle once that had 3 U-joints and the whole 2 piece drive shaft assembly had to be replaced as a unit.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D "Cosmopolite" came stumbling through the service area, dragging his driveshaft, humbly asking.......

TIA=C8 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D On Sun, Feb 15, 2004, 1:25am (CST+6) snipped-for-privacy@innercity.net (Tyrone) dug into his bag of experience and put forth .........

Try cleaning the area with a sharp instrument. I believe you will find that, what looks like the metal being pushed into the bores, is nothing more than caked on DIRT and grime.

Tyrone =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Cos, the u-joints are "crmped" into the shaft at the factory, and they ARE replaceable.

You have 3 solutions to yer delima..........

1) buy another driveshaft assembly.

2) use a "die grinder" to "shave" off the the little tanged areas of the crimp. Then use normal u-joint replacement techniques. The new joints will come with clips to secure them into the shaft.

3) CARRY THE DRIVESHAFT TO THE MACHINE SHOP........where they will most likely replace the joints for about $7 or $8 each. (labor)

a suggestion ??......... that's common practice ??......

Call around to the parts houses and get some prices on the joints.......ask them if they offer free installation if you purchase the joints from them !!!! If you're lucky enough to have a "Driveline" distributer, or a full service "Machine Shop", you're very apt to get them replaced for no charge.....as long as you purchase the parts from them.

any whoo....... you CAN change them yerself if yer patient and have a small die grinder of some sort.

marsh ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster