help driveshaft/u-joints!

has anyone had any experience in replacing the universal joints on the driveshaft? (the kid behind the counter at the local dealer informed me they call it a propeller shaft and i should use the right term.) uh huh. anyway, the dealer doesnt sell the u-joints separately and want $350 for a new driveshaft (propeller shaft). there is a used driveshaft (propeller shaft) for a '95 (which my wife's is) on ebay that is 39.5" long, but being an automatic, our driveshaft (propeller shaft) is only 36" so there must be a different shaft between autos and manual transmissions.

so does anyone know:

anyone that just sells the u-joints? anyone that sells driveshafts (propeller shafts) for less than that? any other experiences that might come in handy?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

arty

Reply to
Arthur Thomas

Mazda drive shafts (thats the term) are not servicable as the u-joints are staked in position by machine. A good drive shaft shop can probably change the existing joints to joints that are replacable. Way back when, Drive-Line Service of North Virginia made my drive shafts and did excellent work for a reasonable price. At $350 for a new shaft, I doubt a modified shaft would be much cheaper. But you could repair it yourself in the future. Other makes such as Mercedes and BMW also use a non-servicable drive shaft (that cost 3 times the Mazda shaft) and there are a number of sources for repair. A visit to the appropriate NG might find some sources.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

sells OEM parts at a discount,large stock, good and quick service. Could also try
south (link on miata.net), watch them. Used:
There used to be a scanned parts catalog online, but I can no longer find it.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to