Replacing the instrament panel

I have a 1989 GMC K1500. The odometer/trip does not work, the fuel guage is very spastic and the gear shift indicator doesn't move. I just bought the truck a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure when they stopped working or if they all stopped at the same time. I was thinking that I could pick up a new instrment panel at a scrap yard/used parts store and replace the old one hoping to fix all of these problems. Does this sound plausable, or are these more likely three problems independant of each other? All of the other guages work properly and there are no other problems with the truck. Also, being a novice "mechanic", would this be a fairly straight forward job?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

they're actually 3 different problems. the odometers fail.. period and there is no new replacement that I am aware of. you can replace the entire cluster with a used one and hopefully the odo will work in it. the gear indicator is actuated by a short loop of wire rope attached to the gear shift (with a clip) under the knee bolster panel. check and see if the cable is still there (remove the bolster panel under the steering column) and still attached to the gear shift. the gas gauge is most likely the sender, unfortunately, those suckers are between $250 and $300 and you either have to drop the tank or remove the bed. (IMHO, removing the bed is easier, did it 2 weeks ago on my brother's '93 C1500). and yes swapping the clusters is quite simple.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase