Rotors/Hubs Chev S-10

I bought my rotors for my '02 S-10 at O'Reilly's. When I got home I saw that they were made in China!!!! Cost was $28 each. Pete/MS

Reply to
Pete

Turnip truck rides?

Reply to
Bill

And this is surprising given where you bought them? although its getting hard to find them made else where these days, but then what does one expect in the age of Wal-mart where price rules supreme and quality doesnt even entere the picture, after all what the hell.I saved $10 who cares about quality.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I hate to tell ya, but GM likely got theirs the same place O'Reilly's did!!

Oh....and just because something's made in China doesn't automatically mean it's poor quality.

Reply to
curmudgeon

Especially if it requires lead based paint, or poisoned pet food makings, or substandard chemicals for the pharmaceuticals industry. Aint nothing made over there or any where else for that matter that we cant do better. We would be in a lot better shape if we depended more on ourselves and hell lot less on them.

Reply to
Whitelightning

Well, I don't like to buy imported stuff that we can make here, but I end up doing it more than I like. Too lazy to take 'em back. Anyway, I got 'em on today. When replacing them , saw the backplate on the truck (back of spindle) says "made in Mexico"...............saw "made in Canada" on a big part the truck somewhere !!!! No wonder Americans are out of work!!!! After replacing rotors, I found the left caliper was binding. This is the rotor I was having trouble with. The anti rattle 0 rings on the mounting bolts for the caliper were binding up the lateral caliper movement. On right side the 0 rings were worn and not binding. The left side was binding tightly.......I ended up removing all 8 - 0 rings . Let 'er breathe a little. Nice and rattley now. At least it won't be binding and dragging anymore. Thanks to all for advice given for this job. Pete

Reply to
Pete

The replacement rings and sleeves are less than $3.00

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I can easily tell a China made rotor from a U.S. made rotor Easily. You can see the Quality difference. Even O.E. made rotors from Germany and other places for BMW's and Mercedes, ect are made far better then the China made versions of them. You buy your US Made car and some parts are made in other countries like Canada or Mexico it's still a good quality O.E. part being used, not cheap China made crap. I would never put that garbage on my own vehicles though I put it on other peoples cars day after day because they want the job done CHEAP.

I also want to do my part and buy U.S. made as much as possible. I've NEVER bought a Foreign made Car or truck. I Have a Chevy truck and a Harley Motorcycle. I do had a Kawasaki Jetski, but only because there's no U.S. company that makes them. I buy U.S. made life jackets and Covers, and whatnot for it. It's not practical to buy everything made in the U.S. but I try as much as I can. It's going to be hard buying things if all the Manufacturing Jobs and what not leave the U.S. China makes a lot of cheap garbage, some of it is unsafe. China went from almost nothing, to into just about everything these days in no time flat. I can only imagine how it'll be in 10-20 years and the current rate. Will everyone be buying China made Cars and trucks and Ford, GM, and Chrysler will be no more? I'm almost thinking Wal-Mart Super Stores will start selling the Cars and trucks.

It's going to byte us in the end.

Reply to
JBDragon

Not even! You can easily tell the difference from a el cheapo China made rotor and a quality O.E rotor!!! Oh and O.Reilly's like most other Car parts store more then likely had the Quality U.S. made rotors in stock also, but you wanted the cheap junk and most do these days. So you spent the $28 instead of the $48 or so. I throw on China made Crap all the time because people want low cost over quality. Better to put it on then just have them go some where else. I won't put that crap on my own Vehicles though. I'd also rather my money went to a U.S. company then over to China. Most of the stuff China makes is CRAP!!!

Reply to
JBDragon

Oh so true.

Reply to
JBDragon

Oh sure, but those are O.E. parts made in Canada and Mexico and the Quality is far, far better because it has to be up to Chevy's standards. China made garbage doesn't and the quality easily shows. If it was a China made O.E. part it would be a whole lot better, but they arn't.

It shouldn't be rattley. Those Rings also should bind up a bit when you step on the brakes and then help move the caliper back a bit so they don't drag when you let off the brakes. You should have just replaced them. Not like it would have cost very much.

Reply to
JBDragon

Boy, this thing really rattles....hit a bump and sounds like jingle bells. I didn't know the rings were sold seperately. I will get some soon. Hope they are different material than originals. Next time to parts place. (Bet it ain't binding, tho....ha ha ha) Thanks again for the great advice. Pete

Reply to
Pete