should I be upset my alternator didn't last???

I only got 20 years and 188,000 miles from the alternator in my S-10. No wonder people switch to Toyotas.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Did you do any maintenance on it over the last 20 years??? :-) My 65 still has the original alternator, every several years I take it apart, have replaced bearings/brushes cleaned and reassembled. Its more principal of keeping it going rather than replacing.

Reply to
Meebers

I understand why you are doing what you are doing. But I haven't done maintenance and would not simply because all the maintenance would be far more work then just buying a lifetime guarantee rebuild every 10 or 20 years. The thing that went out on mine was the rear bearing. it's a ball bearing and all the balls apparently disintegrated when it gave up the ghost.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher
65 still | >has the original alternator, every several years I take it apart, have | >replaced bearings/brushes cleaned and reassembled. Its more principal of | >keeping it going rather than replacing. | >

The rear bearing is a cup roller and is a service part. If that is the only thing wrong with the alternator, you should have asked to have it repaired instead of replaced. The problem is that over the last 25 years, all manufacturers have moved in a "replace it direction" instead of repair it. There are a couple of reasons for that mind set, but I won't go into them here. It used to be the norm to rebuild alternators until GM came out with alternators that were soldered together and could not be taken apart. As my memory serves me, the rear bearing for your alternator is part number 7451831 and is available from any parts store that sells A-C Delco replacement parts.

At 188,000 miles, you'd probably want the brushes replaced also and that part number is 1984462 which is a ceramic holder with a pair of carbon brushes installed in it. The brushes are a wear item just like brake pads.

The later year models have alternators that ARE NOT repairable since they cannot be taken apart by anyone except a repair facility that has the equipment. They must be replaced.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Meebers

The new brush holder comes with a plastic "tooth pick" already installed across the brushes.

Of course, if you're not going to replace the brush holder, then the tooth pick is exactly what is needed to hold the brushes in place until the two case halves are mated and fastened together.

Good Catch!

Reply to
Steve

Based on the smoke and smell when the bearing failed there was a lot of internal electrical damage. I'm sure you are familiar with the smell of burning wire varnish. There was so much end play with the balls missing that I've no doubt the rotor and stator became quite intimate.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I always used a piece of wire so I could put it back togethere then yank the wire out of the case.

John

Reply to
John

I think the toothpick is a better idea! It can become dual use, especially if you are just finishing lunch.

Reply to
Meebers

Steve says; "....would be | far more work then just buying a lifetime guarantee rebuild every

10 | or 20 years. "

Think again. Those "lifetime" guarantees now-a-days usually mean that you will be returning it for the rest of your lifetime.

Reply to
BrianAlex