Smell of Gas when idling/after engine is shut off

Hello

I tried searching the group for more information but could find any good replies so far, so heres another try.

1989 S10, 2.8L TBI (5spd).

Starts, drives fine, heats up well, no check engine light, no sputter, no indication of any sensor problems.

When sitting at a stop light (after warmup) the truck smells of gas, more so now that the heating season is here (with the blower running). It also smells of gas for a while after the truck is shut off.

No visible leaks. More towards the front of the vehicle.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
rmarles

++++++++++++++++++++++ Fuel leak somewhere...........
Reply to
Scott M

Thanks, I knew that I'm getting excess gas somewhere - but not a dripping leak - as there is no puddle under the truck, and it doesn't smell if it hasn't run for a while (say for overnight).

I figured since it only occurs while driving it might be a malfunctioning sensor or something and it's getting too much gas. Perhaps a line seal that doesn't matter when the engines off, but when it's on, it leaks due to pressure or something.

I guess I'm looking for ideas of what & where to look based on peoples previous experiences as I don't want to spend a whole pile of money replacing components that work correctly and don't solve the final problem. For example, if it *is* in fact a malfunctioning sensor, I wouldn't know which ones to begin checking.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
rmarles

=========================== Look for gasoline leaking, lines tank, ect. Maybe bad gas cap.....It doesnt take much to smell it.

Reply to
Scott M

The cause of my similar leak circumstance was a tiny pinhole in the fuel line - only leaked under pressure, sprayed out in a fine spray that either blew back when moving, or onto the hot exhaust (aack!!) when sitting - either way it evaporated and disappeared, only being noticable as the last dribble came out as the pressure died down. I've had two S-10s (don't recall what yours was) that had a leak in the same place - about a foot behind the filter, where the lines have a bend by a holddown.

Reply to
Cricket

Sweet, Thanks for the information. I'll take a look.

Reply to
rmarles

Also kind of sounds like leaky fuel injector. I would search the group for info on this, there was a marvelous post just a few weeks ago that explained it better than I ever could.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Thanks - except I can't find the paticular thread you're reffering to

- The last post I found was in May - a bit more then a few weeks ago! can you send me the thread?

"Leaky Injector" sounds expensive - they're probably a couple hundred each, right?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
rmarles

Last time I replaced one (TBI, though - don't recall how old the truck in question was) it was I think about $65.

Reply to
Cricket