Engine TICKING only when...

My 2.8L MPFI engine in my 89 Cutlass Supreme has always had the following problem:

When the engine is HOT, and has been restarted, there's a noticably loud and annoying TICKING sound. After I give it some gas, and start to drive around for about 1 minute or more, the TICKING is completely gone...UNTIL the next time I re-start the engine(if it's still HOT).

When the engine is COLD, there is NO sound at all.

I've read a lot about ticking when these types of engines are COLD, but mine is fine when it's cold...it's ONLY when it's HOT and has just been re-started. In other words, if I just drove around for a long time, got the engine nice and HOT, but never shut it off and re-started, then it would never make the TICKING sound...it's ONLY after it's been started and is idling, then goes away once gas has been going through the injectors for about a minute.

So, I am almost 100% sure that it has to be an injector problem. Because the stuff I read about lifters causing ticking is just not fitting into my puzzle here. An injector makes sense because the noise is going away once gas has been applied for more than a minute...

Anyone???

Reply to
OldsFan4Ever

Have you put an ohmeter to your injectors? Hot? Cold?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Hold the end of a large screwdriver on each injector when you hear the noise. Put the other end of the screwdriver (the handle) up to the side of your fist and put the side of you fist to your ear. The sound will be amplified and travel up the screwdriver to your ear. If the sound is coming from an injector, it will be obvious.

Reply to
saeengineer

Sounds like a sticking lifter. Give the engine a good flush. I've had good luck with Gunk(tm) engine flush freeing up sticking lifters.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney