Source for front wheel bearing/hub assy '99 Blazer, 2WD

I'm looking a source to buy a front wheel bearing/hub assy for a 2WD '99 Blazer. None of the local parts stores list the 2WD hub as being available but they do carry the 4WD hub assy for $150-$170. Local dealer has one in stock if I want to part with $487. Seems like an expensive wheel bearing to me.

Any suggestions or known sources, either a part store chain or online source?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Van Horn

Might be too new to have after market makers yet. Try gmpartsdirect.com I have looked up parts there and the prices were good. You will most likely need the part number though. The dealer can give you that. P.S. I have never ordered anything from them before, so.....Are you sure that bearing/hub is bad? seams like the truck is a little new for that to go out...

Reply to
Scott M

Yeah, I'm sure it's the wheel bearing. I was looking for the source of the front end noise, sounds like I'm driving with snow tires, and found that the wheel has a lot of play both side to side and top to bottom. Ruled out ball joints and tie rods. Removed tire and brake caliper. The wheel bearings sound nasty just spinning the hub. Pulled the hub off and found the it is stamped "not serviceable-do not disassemble."

Like I said it the original post, the 4WD version of the same part is readily available but I can't find the 2WD anywhere but the dealer at more than 3x the price. The parts guy at the dealer said we sell a lot of these...

Research leads me to believe it a common problem. Found complaints about the same thing on Blazers with 40-60K miles. Mine has 50K.

I just have a hard time forking over $500 for a wheel bearing.

Thanks for the link. I'll look it up.

Mike

Reply to
Van Horn

Reply to
Mike Levy

I checked gmpartsdirect.com if this is the part number.....'99 blazer RWD, front wheel hub 15731627 . It says 292.63 shipped. I would double check the number with the dealer. I have check prices hear before and they are very good. (I get a very good dicount from my dealer here) and this place is about the same shipped.

Reply to
Scott M

--------------------------- I just tryed the same number at partszoneonline.com , it says $280.44 w/o shipping. You have to put in all your CC info to tell the shipping aparently.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks for the information. I called several dealers yesterday to verify part number and check prices. A couple would not give me the part number, said GM sent out a bulletin telling them not to do this. One place did discount the part to $360. I ordered today from gmpartsdirect.com for $262.93, a savings of $195. Still tough to take for a wheel bearing that goes bad at 50,000 miles and can't be serviced.

Reply to
Van Horn

Reply to
Mike Levy

200K, some 50.......Maybe a piece of crap got in there when it was manufactured, maybe a panic stop cooked the grease, who knows....?....
Reply to
Scott M

Don't these have the hub and rotor as one integrated unit???? Seems to me front wheel bearings were around $40-$50 per wheel ( inner and outer).

Reply to
Rob

That changed on the 98+ 2WD trucks, for this truck anyway. It's an integrated unit, non-serviceable. Makes for easier rotor swaps (does this tell us something?)

Reply to
Mike Levy