Replacing real wheel bearing on 99 Maxima

I need to replace the rear wheel bearing on my 99 Nissan Maxima. According to the Haynes repair manual, I should be able to take off the spindle nut, and the bearing will slide off following the nut.

I called a few auto parts stores and none of them have the rear wheel bearing in stock. When I called a Nissan dealership, I was told that the rear wheel bearing cannot be replaced by itself, but only together with the rear wheel hub (over $120 each).

Is the information in the Haynes manual wrong? Please advise. - Ilya.

Reply to
Ilya S

If they're anything like the fronts it's a sealed bearing assembly held in place by an internal circlip. Just replaced the front ones on mine so I'm betting the rears are similar.

Mine got so bad that the hub assembly was spinning inside the race & destroyed the hub shaft such that new bearings couldn't be pressed on. Junkyard replacement spindle for 45 bucks.

Machine shop pressing charge 25 bucks. 45 bucks for bearing, seals 9 bucks each.

Bearing has inner & outter seals that are identical. Autozone only stock1 at a time so running around was required.

That's my story.

Ilya S wrote:

Reply to
- - ¿ - -

just over 75K. it's only the left rear bearing that's noisy though...

Reply to
Ilya S