Stripped Thread

Hello all,

My brother asked me to stop by his house tonight after work, seams he's replacing the front brake pads on his 1996 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. The reason he wanted me to stop by was he said he was concerned about not being able to remove one of the caliper bolts. He told me on the phone that the bolt was difficult to remove, and didn't want to screw anything up. So I stopped by and he's right. the bolt didn't want to come out, you could feel the threads grinding when you tried to turn it.

Sooo the bolt is now out and there are about half of the threads left in the spindle. I looked up the caliper bolt on the web and it's a M11 x 1.50 thread, I then went to the helicoil web site, seams they don't make a helicoil that size. Any suggestions on how he might fix this short of replacing the spindle?

Thanks Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Your handy dandy Napa Auto parts dealer, part number BK

7703190 for the complete kit. Price is $47.99. The other option is to replace the spindle. a little anti sieze on the threads doesnt hurt here.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the Napa info, I also found a kit on line for $41.90.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

"" wrote: > Hello all, > > My brother asked me to stop by his house tonight after work, > seams he's > replacing the front brake pads on his 1996 Chevy 1/2 ton > pickup. The reason > he wanted me to stop by was he said he was concerned about not > being able to > remove one of the caliper bolts. He told me on the phone that > the bolt was > difficult to remove, and didn't want to screw anything up. So > I stopped by > and he's right. the bolt didn't want to come out, you could > feel the threads > grinding when you tried to turn it. > > Sooo the bolt is now out and there are about half of the > threads left in the > spindle. I looked up the caliper bolt on the web and it's a > M11 x 1.50 > thread, I then went to the helicoil web site, seams they don't > make a > helicoil that size. Any suggestions on how he might fix this > short of > replacing the spindle? > > Thanks > Brian

Go to the parts store and buy a over sized self tapping caliper bolt,Most parts stores carry them.I know O?reilly does if you have one.And they do make Heli-coils for them, just not in the heli-coil brand.

Reply to
Shakes73

Your absolutely right about the OS caliper bolt. I was at an autoparts store today and found one for the truck. So we've already installed it and are back in business. They recommend that you only use it once, meaning that when you remove it they don't recommend reinstalling it. So when the helocoil kit comes in it'll go into the toolbox and as soon as it's convenient for my brother we'll helicoil it and be done with it.

Thanks Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

The problem with them is they sometimes make the bore to large to heli coil

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning