thermostat replacement

need to replace the thermostat on my '02 S-10 V/6. How much do I have drain out of the radiator before I remove the housing so I don't have a mess all over the engine. Then I have been told "do not get an air lock" in the dexcool, so what is the best way not to get an air lock??? Thanks

-- bc

Reply to
Boots

Clamp off the heater hoses, and drain the water out of the radiator until you are pretty sure the water line is below the thermostat. If the front of the veh is higher than the back, this helps.

Reply to
AZ John