What are symptoms of bad thermostat? (Corolla)

Two symptoms make me wonder whether my 1994 Corolla has a faulty / sticky thermostat.

First, in cold weather, when I ride at highway speed as the car is warming up, it seems to take a long time before the car kicks into its highest gear. I have an automatic, but in cold weather it doesn't seem to transition smoothly and quickly into its top gear.

Then the other day in the cold weather, the heater just didn't seem to be blowing out air that was as hot as it should be.

Sometimes the needle on the dashboard thermostat stays smack on Cold, and sometimes it moves a slight bit above it.

Do these symptoms point to a faulty thermostat?

If so...are there special things to be aware of when replacing it? I have put one or two in over the years in other cars, but I've never drained the antifreeze, etc. I've just put the new thermostat in and topped up the antifreeze. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Al

I didn't know Nissan made Corollas. Why are you posting this in the Nissan group?

Reply to
E Meyer

Oops. Sorry, I own a Toyota and a Nissan, and I got my newsgroups mixed up!

Reply to
Al