thrashing machine effect

My '97 S-10 with big V6 is starting to talk to me on startup. Years ago, when I was a kid and hot rodding, the noise was rockers/lifters.

Anyway, I'm hearing what sounds something like rocker/lifter noise on startup, and continuing for maybe a second or two, then it goes away, and everything is quiet again. Silly thing runs good, too, and gas mileage is still what it should be. It's not burning oil, either.

What are some likeley possibilities?

Reply to
RB

Just the lifters pumping up with oil and making some racket until they're full. Did you recently change brand/weight of oil or brand/type of filter?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ahh the old could the filter be defective trick! You won't forget that one will ya ;-)

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Dunno if I ever posted an update to the ng or not, but I've since tried Purolator PureOne filters, WIX, and NAPA Gold filters and NONE of them give me the lifter noise..................just the good ol' Delco's were causing the racket.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yeah you did post an update, that's why I was razzing ya. That was weird that only that filter brand was causing lifter noise when started.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

The V6 in your S-10 is a Chevy 350 with the front two cylinders removed. For the most part, anything you learned about the older Chev V8's applies to your motor. Having said that, you should try a real quality oil filter and see if that fixes it. My Ranger had the same sound but improved noticeably when I threw the Fram filters in the trash and got Motorcraft instead.

Reply to
Scott

If I run it by the jiffy lube place and get the oil and filter changed, and it quiets it down, is it likely no significant damage has been done?

Reply to
RB

The "jiffy lube place" is likely the culprit. I wouldn't trust those places to change my windshield washer fluid! If you're able, change it yourself using a quality oil and filter. If you MUST use the "jiffy lube place", take a good filter with you.

KB

Reply to
KB

Agreed, they use bulk filters (aka JUNK) at those places. Grab a Purolator PureOne, WIX or NAPA Gold filter and make sure they're using the correct weight oil (5W30). Also, check the oil level to make sure it's neither too low or too high.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"