Tires Steering... etc

Ok, here we go again. 2004 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab.

At a couple hundred miles the truck was bouncing all over the place because "The Continental tires on the truck were out of round." Supposedly they replace all four. I know I had to take the truck in twice.

A little later, maybe 600-800 miles I noticed the truck pulled to one side. Supposedly it was a bad tire. I was not clear if it was replaced, but I'm guessing it was.

At about 15000 miles the truck was all over the road if you hit a bump and pulled badly to one side. Another tire. I was told it was replaced and the truck realigned. Steering wheel is now noticeably crooked. Like more than

15 degrees.

At 17000 miles a back tire threw a tread and did between 600 and 1000 dollars damage to the truck. The tread looks almost like new. Well, in really good shape and it is evenly worn. In fact all the tires look good at a visual inspection.

I'm getting a little frustrated. This is 6+ tires replaced in 17000 miles. I vaguely recall something about some issues keeping the front end aligned on these trucks, but since the last one was a back I am beginning to suspect this is just a bad batch of tires.

Any suggestions. I just talked with a service writer and he said, "He would look into it." I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a day, but, "I'll look into it," inspires me with little confidence.

What suggestions might you have?

I'm thinking to scrap the tires on the truck and take it over to Discount Tire Company and have some top quality light truck tires installed to replace the Continentals that came on the truck. Then run it over to an independent front end and suspension shop to check out the setup.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

An good independent shop + Michelin tires should fix your problems. I once owned a set of Cont. tires, nothing but trouble. I have used up at least 4 sets of Michelins on various vehicles and never had a problem with them.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

In defense of the dealership I was sitting in the driveway at Discount Tire Company (across the street actually) when they called me back to let me know the regional service guy with GM OKed them to replace all four tires with something else.

I also stopped by and picked up a temporary spare until my new tires come in. Now to figure out how to pay for all the damage to the truck from that last bad tire.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Both my '04 and my '06 Canyon came from the factory with General's. Traded the '04 for the '06 at 74KM, and the tires were in excellent condition.

Reply to
Commentator

What's to figure out, you have an admission the tires were bad, the bad tire caused the body damage, it's called product liability. a few years before I stopped turning wrenches for a living, Michelin repaired an RV that one of their stupendous LT load range E tires came apart on and did almost $10K of damage to. Michelin has been living on its laurels for the past 20 years.

Continental makes a decent heavy truck tire, but their LT line leaves much to desire. Bridgestone rides well, but don't hold the road worth a tinkers damn.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You think GM will ok to repair the body damage? Or is it more along the lines of having my attorney contact GM and pointing it out. I figured I would have a pretty good arguement for it since the service writer told me he tried to get the tires OKed to be replaced after the last bad tire. I figured it did 600-1000 in damage to the truck based on other body work I have had done in the past. I was debating if it would cost me more to have an atorney contact them than it was worth. I've got a fairly high deductible, so I'm sure my insurnace company would just cut me a check for the difference and raise the rates on my commerical trucks if I go through them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Randy

the place