Whiny transmission

My '99 Suburban 1500, 5.7 V8, auto trans, 52k miles, has developed a noise, sort of a whirring, whining type of noise. It is audible (kinda loud, too) as I accelerate from a stop, increasing in pitch as the revs go up. When the tranny shifts into second gear the whine reduces in pitch but goes up again as revs go up. I don't hear it in third or fourth. It is most evident when the tranny is cold, like in the morning. Is a new tranny in my near future? Fluid level is ok, shifts feel normal.

Thanks in advance!

-- Ed Moran Ed's NexStar 11 Etc., Astronomy Site

Ed

looking at this from a technical stand-point, it appears to be a bearing problem in the front planetary set

for the 4L60E, the planets function as follows:

1st: front in reduction, rear in reduction 2nd; front in reduction, rear in OD 3rd; 'straight thru', niether set used 4th; front not used, rear in OD

reverse: Rear only

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Reply to
Scott M

Put it in Neutral and rev it up and down. Is the noise there? Does it still vary with engine RPM?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

First, thanks to all for the replies. Second, the noise is not present in Neutral or Park. All I hear in those positions is the throaty growl of my mighty 350 :-). Today I noticed that the volume of the sound varies from time to time, sometimes it's quite loud, sometimes not so loud. It seems to be loudest when I accelerate briskly, putting more load on the transmission.

Thanks again,

Ed

Reply to
Ed

transmission.

OK, that eliminates a belt-driven accessory bearing...............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

front planetary or else thrust bearing inside converter

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

On 20 Jan 2004 20:25:17 EST, Ed put forth the notion that...

I once had a whiny wife, but I got rid of her. At least you can rebuild a tranny.

Reply to
Checkmate

Rebuilt trannys are a whole lot cheaper too! Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Scott M

"Ed" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bui08p$ snipped-for-privacy@dispatch.concentric.net...

Perfect description. The tranny of my 2002 Trailblazer produces exactly the same kind of noise. It was there from the first day I drove it. Everything you mentioned goes for my TB too. Dealer said it's nothing to worry about. I am not so sure. Any help? Andreas

Reply to
A.Muewi

Thanks again to all who replied. Since I've got another 1.5 years on the warranty I'll just keep driving until it gets loud enough to really complain about or until it spits its guts out.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Just be sure your dealer knows your concerned about it now. This record of the complaint will bolster your warranty claim in the future. B

Reply to
Battleax

Good point!

Thanks

Reply to
Ed

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I have a Ford F150 work truck that has been making a similar whine for the last 30K miles or so. It hasn't gotten any worse, and since it's not my truck I'm leaving it alone. I think people sometimes get too worked up about noises from their vehicles that don't amount to anything. My '88 Safari made and my '99 Yukon makes ticking noises at idle. I've learned to just live with noises from my GM vehicles that might worry me coming from my Hondas. I know someone who has spent thousands trying to track down a clunk in the rear end of his '87 BMW (it has a limited slip diff). I can't even hear it. The mechanics love to see him though!

Just my two cents,

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher