U-joints or not.....

I'm looking for some advice on my 2001 Silverado 1500 2WD. The last few days I've noticed a bit of a squeak/squeal atleast at low speeds from outside the truck. Can't tell at higher speeds as wind/road noise kinda covers it up. Really sounds like a dry bearing type noise The truck has 55,000 miles so I thought the U-joints were going. Today I realized the squeal isn't noticeable backing up but only going forward under power. Coasting forward it diminishes or goes away completly. Now what? It it possible for the U-joints to only squeak while under power? Just a result of the torque on the drive train?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Wally

Reply to
Wally Korzenieski

Sounds like the parking brake. If you aren't under warranty any longer, pull the rear drums apart. Tell me if you find anything funky.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

depends of the frequency of the squeak. Ujoints squeak several times for a wheel revolution. b

Reply to
Battleax

Reply to
Elliott

Goddamn it; I thought you were moving and would be away for at least a few days?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

hehehe

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

He had to get his daily 'fix' of being abused.................

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thanks for the suggestions. Dam, I hope it's not the breaks, but I'll check. Having limited time around the house lately, I just had my Chevy dealer do new rotors and pads all the way around. A week later this squeak starts. Looks like I'll have to start pulling it apart myself like I should have the first time.

Thanks. Wally

Reply to
Wally Korzenieski

"Wally Korzenieski" wrote

Well, I can guarantee that it's not a problem with the "breaks", but it could possibly be something wrong with the "brakes".

When you have it apart, check and see if they installed any type of lubricant on the "back" of the front brake pads. You should have some sort of lubricant, we use the same sylglide silicone lubricant that we lube the caliper pins with. This helps a lot with brake pad squeal.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Come on give him a break, he wrecked his truck today. See the post "Ouch. parts anyone?"

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam