squeak on reverse

Hi,

I have a 98 S-10 ZR2, with automatic trans. I commute about 80 miles a day, and try not to drive much, so it currently gets used about once a week, but I always make sure it gets driven at least 15-20 miles whwn out, so at least it gets fully warm when used. Anyway, lately I have noticed that when I back up, I get a squeak squeak sound that is proportional to wheel speed, i.e. when I speed up, it squeaks faster. It also seems that sometimes in reverse, the truck doesnt exactly want to go as well as it used to. MPG is the same as usual, forward power seems right. Everything looks OK (brakes do squeal in the rear), although I havent checked the level of diff oil in a while. I dont knwo what it could be, it almost sounds like if I was compressing and decompressing the suspension, but of course I am not, just driving in reverse. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks very much,

JMH

Reply to
JMH

squeak on reverse Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Oct 26, 2003, 8:38pm From: snipped-for-privacy@pleasetakethisoutitisagainstspam.yahoo.com (JMH) Hi, I have a 98 S-10 ZR2, with automatic trans. I commute about 80 miles a day, and try not to drive much, so it currently gets used about once a week, but I always make sure it gets driven at least 15-20 miles whwn out, so at least it gets fully warm when used. Anyway, lately I have noticed that when I back up, I get a squeak squeak sound that is proportional to wheel speed, i.e. when I speed up, it squeaks faster. It also seems that sometimes in reverse, the truck doesnt exactly want to go as well as it used to. MPG is the same as usual, forward power seems right. Everything looks OK (brakes do squeal in the rear), although I havent checked the level of diff oil in a while. I dont knwo what it could be, it almost sounds like if I was compressing and decompressing the suspension, but of course I am not, just driving in reverse. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks very much, JMH

When your in reverse do you have you foot on the brake? If you are you ARE putting a load on your suspension.....What kind of squeek are we talking about?. Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

[...]

possibly the u-joints...or the rear brakes....

most likely the brakes.

marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

This is true, good point... however the squeak is with brakes off, rolling. no squeak until the truck is in motion, then it squeaks for what I guess is 1 squeak per wheel rotation...

Im thinking the brake pads are bad in some way, thus the reason why they squeal when going forward. I was told they are at 80%, but maybe they are towed in somehow, or could a caliper be stuck somehow causing the pad to toe such that it squeaks in one direction and is fine in the other?

Thanks,

JMH

Reply to
JMH

TOP POST!!!!!!!!!! Heres the question of the day when the guys checked your pads.....Did they check you parking brakes also.?..You stated you have pads meaning you have rotors...You have to remove the rotors to get to the parking brake linings.....This is a common thing for the parking brake to make a squeek(such as your discription) ...Why in reverse and not foing foward?you have no pad left in the fron but still have pad in the rear of the lining...GM came out with a new retianer because of this reason...MOst of the look like theye drove a thousand miles with the parking brake on..........Id have them inspected.... Steve C Re: squeak on reverse Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 10:21am From: snipped-for-privacy@pleasetakethisoutitisagainstspam.yahoo.com (JMH) This is true, good point... however the squeak is with brakes off, rolling. no squeak until the truck is in motion, then it squeaks for what I guess is 1 squeak per wheel rotation... Im thinking the brake pads are bad in some way, thus the reason why they squeal when going forward. I was told they are at 80%, but maybe they are towed in somehow, or could a caliper be stuck somehow causing the pad to toe such that it squeaks in one direction and is fine in the other? Thanks, JMH When your in reverse do you have you foot on the brake? If you are you ARE putting a load on your suspension.....What kind of squeek are we talking about?.

Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook