Undercoating Recipe ?

I have a 74 Chevy Pickup which I drive in the winter on rare occasions ( Why? Because my KIA 4 banger won't haul a car trailer ). Since it's summer, now is the time to undercoat ( no salt on the roads and fairly dry ).

By the way, I live in southern Ont. Canada, so salt is a major concearn, sometimes it's thicker than the snow on the road.

Since I am being cheap and can't see myself paying $60 for a gallon, what is a good recipe for making my own oil undercoating.

Thanks for your input, hope this helps someone else too.

Reply to
Todd

You have to make a decision if your truck is worth paying the $60 a gallon for a few gallons of undercoating or having it burn with asphalt roof coating. Personally, I would bite the bullet and get the undercoating.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

$60.00 a gallon?

Did they see you coming?

rusfree, urethane rustproofing, you go from inside the panels, and under the vehicle. It's a self healing urethane coating, which mends if a stone chips it. $18.95 USD a gallon if I buy single gallons. At a local body shop supplier, you can buy it in a case at about $16.95 a gallon, and you will need 8 gallons to do inside the doors, inside the wheel houses and inside the fenders, inside the rockers.

Like a Ziebart job

You can do a web search for Smart Shoppers, or auto body supplies, smart shoppers or

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to
Bruce Christian

They sell undercoat in spray cans now for like 3 bux a can. I bought some to do my wheel wells with and it is pretty good stuff.

Reply to
twins0203

. . EDITED =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D gear snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Todd) writes.......

I have a 74 Chevy Pickup Since it's summer, now is the time to undercoat.

=A0=A0By the way, I live in southern Ont. Canada, salt is a major concearn.

=A0=A0=A0=A0 Since I am being cheap and can't see myself paying $60 for a gallon, what is a good recipe for making my own oil undercoating.

=A0=A0=A0=A0Thanks for your input, hope this helps someone else too. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

DOWN HOME UNDERCOATING Recipe:

1 rich friend (with a good attitude) 1 independent repair garage (unkempt)

Go over to rich friends house and borrow his Wagner Power Sprayer, preferably from his wife while he's not at home.

Stop by the sloppiest looking indepent mechanic shop in town and get you some of that used motor oil they been pouring out the back door of the shop onto the ground.

go home...... start spraying.

and...... never tell your buddy what you used in his Wagner Sprayer.....cuz.....he might not have as good an attitude as you think.

and....... you're gonna need to borrow it again....... after a couple heavy rains.

and..... a couple times during the winter.

what? you don't believe me?

okee dokee..... then do this....

go get you a milk crate, a bucket of used motor oil, a case of beer, a couple good cigars, and maybe some of that "red bud" you got hid in the top of the closet, and a water sprinkler.

now....go outside with everything, sit on the milk crate, lite up one of them ceegars, open you up a beer, stick yer hand down in that bucket of motor oil, now take it back out.... and sit there. Now ....in the morning....when the beers gone, (and i know you done smoked that "red bud"), move the milk crate over next to the water sprinkler, go cut on the water..... and have yerself a sit. Now hold out that hand that you stuck down in that motor oil last night.

WAKE UP....!!!!!! stay with me here man..... this things get'n scientific now.

I know..... you been sit'n on that milk crate all night long, you're drunk, high, tired and got SLIGHTLY oily hand. Well....we're almost done ....so hang in there.

okay....back to the experiment.

You sit there on that milk crate for about

2 hours with that sprinkler running while you hold out that oily hand of yours.....

then.......

come on back and do a repost and let me know if you think that motor oil you want to spray on that truck .....is gonna stay there very long, being as it's gonna be out there in the weather a leeettle bit longer than your hand was, and we can be quite sure the water preasure washing it back off will be jest a weeee bit more than that sprinkler of yers.

NO...NO...NO!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN NOT ....mix it with flower and make it stick longer.

however......

if you got a friend with a ceiling hopper..... and some spare axle grease......

oo L O

~:~ MarshMonster ~you could go find a road that's getting paved... and run down er a couple 5 dozen times or so~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

First I would like to say thank you all for the replies, but none of them are telling me what I wanted to know.

I have an undercoating gun, so spray cans are out of the question ( not to mention expensive ) I have no intention of spraying asphalt roof coating anywhere under my truck, anything that hardens is not what I intend on coating the frame and underbody with. So don't worry Rita, that's one truck which won't be going up in flames ;-)

You are right Refinish King, at $60 a gallon they did see me coming, except I saw them first, I have no intention of paying that outrageous price. With that said, even at UAP a gallon of their best undercoating is $45 and I have been going there for years, I pay much less than the average person who walks in off the street. You have to remember, this is Ontario, land of the overtaxed and overpriced. Those of you in the US don't know how good you have it with all of your speed shops and Pep Boys.... we here in Canada don't get that luxury. We eitehr go to Canadian Tire ( spelled cheap crap ) or some speed and custom place which knows how to jack prices through the roof.

I went into Canadian Tire to see what they had, a 4 litre container of Krown undercoating was $60 ( I almost laughed out loud considering it's only $100 to take the vehicle to Krown and have them do it for you )

I have been doing bodywork for years, and I know what rust can do to a vehicle ( which is why I believe in undercoating ) I had a guy at the UAP tell me to mix WD-40 and tranny fluid for undercoating, but I am very skeptical about how that would work. It sounds too liquid, (run right off the vehicle and not protect ) plus WD-40 isn't very good at protecting against rust very long. I doubt it would last a winter.

I owned a 1979 Olds delta 88 which had some kind of oil undercoating on it, the car was still spotless three years ago when I sold it. The undercoating was like some kind of funky odorless oil, which when you touched it came off on your fingers still somewhat liquid, but it never ran from where it was applied. I would love to find out exactly what that stuff was because it was AWSOME.

So, with that said, I would still like to hear what people have tried which worked or didn't work.... I may give it a shot and mix a couple of oil's together to see what I can come up with, but I hate the thought of experimenting with something that I am wasting my time at. I want something that doesn't run right off the vehicle in three months leaving it wide open to the rust again.

Thank you all, and please if you have your own recipe, post it, if it works I wanna hear about it.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

I did actually consider the ceiling hopper, but I couldn't figure out how to get the truck above me so I could spray it.... then it came to me.

If I were to build a wheel ramp ( just one ) and drive the truck real fast at it, I may be able to flip the truck on the side....

Thanks for the laugh, it made my week.... ;-)

Todd

Reply to
Todd

That is exactly one of the compounds I named:

rusfree 1000-b is the black and they make a clear that is somewhat yellowish also.

You can do inside the doors, and if you have the plastic wands, you can do around the wheel houses and inside the rockers, in fact. all the hidden places, then plug the half inch holes. I rarely drill, because the parts are off when the car is collision damaged.

I just bought 4 more gallons of 1000-b today, $16.95 UDS. If you are close to the border, cross it and go to a us auto body supply.

This stuff remains somewhat wet, like Ziebart, and if it gets hit by a rock, reflows. I used to be a licensed Fiberglass-Evercoat System3 Rustproofing center, but decided that it wasn't profitable enough.

Try finding a relative or friend coming to the states, then can go to an auto body supply in the town they are visiting for you?

I wish there were a way I could ship it to you?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

however...... if you got a friend with a ceiling hopper..... and some spare axle grease...... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D From: gear snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Todd) =A0=A0=A0=A0 I did actually consider the ceiling hopper, but I couldn't figure out how to get the truck above me so I could spray it.... then it came to me.

=A0=A0=A0=A0If I were to build a wheel ramp ( just one ) and drive the truck real fast at it, I may be able to flip the truck on the side.... =A0=A0=A0=A0 Thanks for the laugh, it made my week.... ;-) Todd =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Todd, now that's funny.....lmao

so......yer a body man? or....you jest been doing body work for years? (jest curious)

Have you thought about using Ospho? The product works!!! It's usually available at Hardware stores.

Has the consistancy of water, which allows it to "flow" into the minute nooks and crannies that thicker undercoatings don't. Which means it will get up into the panels real well, and flow around the metal in general if it's put on really wet. Which will provide some good protection in welded panel areas that typical undercoating won't flow into. This same property makes it extremely affordable because of the area you can cover with a small amount. You can brush it own or spray it on. I have personally used it in Devilbiss guns and Sharps guns. (old ones, ones I would use for primer) IT WILL NOT WASH OFF!!!! NO SANDING if you want to topcoat it !!

The downside is....that without a topcoat over it, sooner or later road gravel will chip through it to the metal underneath. This will only be a problem on the imediate underbelly, not in the nooks and crevasse's, and definately not up into to panel areas. You could always topcoat the underbelly with any cheap paint.

I'm thinking you'll get the underside done with 2 quarts or less. Cut the air down on your sprayer so your not wasting it and it covers great.

It's been awhile since I bought any, and to save my soul, I can't recall what I was paying for it. $12 a quart?? Sounds pricey, but the coverage area is what you need to look at.

Ospho Address:

any whooo..... there's one option for you.

~:~ Marsh ~would come over and hold the spray gun.... while you ran by on two wheels......got beer?~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Refinish King,

I have never seen or heard of what you are talking about, so I can't comment on whether it was or wasn't the stuff. This undercoating sprayed on that Olds I had wasn't black, clear or yellowish, it was more the color of a cross between motor oil and molases. Kind of a goldish brown color.

Come to think of it, I do have a friend who's wife is from Conneticut and I may get him to pick me up a couple of gallons when next time they go to visit her parents. Of course with my luck they won't be going down next until Christmas when it's too late to undercoat effectively.... or easily.

Thanks for the sentiment, but I would think that shipping a gallon or two of the stuff here would likely cost as much as just paying the $60 for the gallon here.... LOL

I did actually consider mixing lithium axle grease and naptha gas ( coleman lamp gas ) and applying that to the undercarriage. I figure that the grease would be liquid enough to spray ( and may even run into crevices ) and the naptha would evaporate at it's normal rate (holy smokes that's fast) and leave the grease where it lay.

Oh, and yes I do know how explosive naptha fumes are, almost as explosive as some of the solvents you use while doing bodywork and auto painting.

TTFN Todd

Reply to
Todd

Marsh Monster,

No I am not a bodyman, just been doing bodywork for years. Nobody ever offered me an apprenticeship while I worked at a local bodyshop ( the excuse was that they just hired a guy on and didn't need anymore apprentices ) So I moved on to a factory job that any monkey could do, but paid twice what I was making doing prep work.

The factory that I work at actually makes bumpers for Chevy trucks. Every front bumper put onto a Chevy truck ( from the factory ) was manufactured by the company I am employed at right now. And by the way, if anyone ever says newer is better, they're lying. The bumpers we made 10 years ago are armour plating compared to the new tinfoil ones we make today. But of course it's all in the name of (saving weight... spelled "Make it cheaper, Make more $$$$ )

Now, as for Ospho, I have never heard of the stuff. Is it some kind of undercoating ? Paint ? Primer ? Does it go by some other name here in Canada ?

Actually that stuff sounds kinda like something my father call's vinyl wash. It's got a really wattery consistancy (with a mint green tint), sprays onto bare metal and dries to a flexible film. It inhibits rust and acts like a primer all at the same time. Only problem with it is that you have to topcoat it within a certain amount of time or it hardens too much and has to be reapplied.

Thanks for the help, oh and I'm just about done with making that ramp ;-) Will let you know how it works shortly, soon as I get an undercoating recipe to apply..... and go rent a stucco hopper...

Todd

Reply to
Todd

Use acetone rather than naphtha:

Acetone will volatilize in ten minutes and gone!

Naphtha leaves tail solvents and will stay behind for days.

You could also go to body shops that use solvent recyclers, and beg for the bottom sludge from their recyclers.

There is a conversion for the sludge that turns it into rubberized undercoating, so for ten bucks, you can make 20 gallons. But the trick is the sludge, for five gallons of recycled solvent, you get half gallon to three quarter gallon of sludge. if you find enough shops that use liners, and are willing to give it to you, buy the conversion mixture, and you can do a few friend's trucks and make a few bucks too!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

replying to Todd, MrNoNothing wrote: Cosmoline is gold in colour and like molasses

Reply to
MrNoNothing