Optional items for new Forester

I am likely going to purchase a new Forester (2007), and I would appreciate some input about which of the dealer accessories I should opt for and which I should either forget about or install myself with aftermarket alternatives. I live in the Seattle Area - no salt on the roads, no significant salt spray. I do intend to occasionally take the vehicle to the family farm - gravel roads, parking in the field. Here are the ones I am thinking of:

Trailer Hitch $230 Is this a bolt-on item that I could pick up at a junk yard and install myself ?

Rear Window Dust Deflector ?

Bumper corner molding - seems I should be able to install these myself, if I can find them for under $60

Front Bumper underguard - Costs $330 - what does it do?

Rear bumper cover - seems to be a rubber mat that glues onto the bumper - helpful since I have a dog with claws who will use that entrance, but l should be able to do that one myself too, no?

Also - the only thing in the premium package that interests me is the heated side mirror/wiper de-icer - can that be installed aftermarket?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Adam

Reply to
Juneappal

bigjim

Yeah, it's like (4) bolts and a plug-in! Some of the DIY suppliers have the installation instructions online, check them out.

$230, installed, isn't a HORRIBLE price, though. Dealers were getting almost $400 when I bought my Subie.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Check the OEM discount prices at

. I THINK some of the installation guides for the options are even online there - if not, email Jamie (of
fame, she works there) and she might scan the install guide for you.

no finacial interest - just a satisfied customer

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

DoItYourself

models around $130They also have the hookup gear including the special diode box. $189.46- at
I spent $250 to have a Draw-Tite installed as my wife doesn't even want me looking underneath a car (I once 'bench-pressed' a Plymouth Reliant, painful!)

DIY Nice, looks good, works.

Nice looks better, rear spoiler $249.61 - $263.33

Take your choice

DIY $49.53 at

It's on

like a brushguard kinda thing. This is something I'd want to look at and hold by the bumper to see how much good it would do with your intended use

All of the above: DIY

That's a build-only option. You'd have to buy a replacement windshield to get the wiper de-icer, *then* add the wiring parts. Same for the side mirror de-icer.

is in Tacoma. Personal favorite 'extra' on my '00 OBW is the Rear Gate Bar on
, saves contortions and fumbles when raising or lowering the tailgate. They don't list one for your possible Fartster.

Reply to
nobody >

Install manuals for these options are here:

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Sometimes you post an novice question and people give you a lot of grief. Other times, like this one, people are chomping at the bit to give helpful, friendly advice. Thanks tremendously - not a single flame, but 6 genuinely helpful responses.

:)

Reply to
Juneappal

Now that you mentioned it, Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elderberries

Reply to
nobody >