undercoating

my rubicon hasnt arrived yet but my dealership was preparing my paperwork so that we could get everything done in advance. he asked if i wanted the undercoating/detail for $162. he said they undercoat the entire undercarraige and then detail/wax the jeep. i dont care about the waxing part, but im wondering if the undercoat they do is worth doing or if its a waste of $162. thanks.

Nathan W. Collier

montanajeeper

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I wouldn't. I wouldn't trust any numpty ( Scottish word for idiot) wax my car for fear they would use a rotary buffer and leave swirl marks. And getting your underbody properly waxoyled costs a hell of a lot more than $162 over here - can't see them spending the time to do it properly.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
Dave Lee

montanajeeper did pass the time by typing:

IMHO, a waste of money. Cars come factory undercoated and in several cases adding addional undercoating voids the factory rust warantee. Besides which, all they do is rattle-can on undercoating you could do yourself for $30 or less.

As for waxing, that's pure bullshit. The dealer should detail your car for delivery as a part of the service. Seriously, clean it yourself, that way some lowbuck trainee doesn't scratch the paint before you can.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
twaldron

i dont think that applies if youre paying green sheet. they even charge you $15 for the gas that comes in the tank, undertandably.

ive often wondered why people rhino line the inside of their tubs. would make more sense to me to rhino line the under side of the tub.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

My '02 TJ has a LOT of undercarriage rust. Of course, Cleveland Ohio winters and TONS of salt on the roads don't help. I think I am going to have my next new vehicle undercoated by Ziebart. Do you have a Ziebart near you Nathan? If so, you might want to talk to them first, before making a decision.

I would NOT trust the dealer to do a proper job.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will see salted roads all winter, as does mine. Bill's pictures are referring to a TJ that had already seen 4 Michigan winters when those pics were taken. If the undercoating has gaps or open bubbles, salt will collect in those spots. My advice, skip the undercoating and power-wash the underside of the Jeep every month in winter.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out dirt and gravel.

definately. ive always washed my undercarraige with more care than my body panels. im working on installing a floor drain in my garage for that very reason.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Undercoating I can understand, though I'm certainly not sure that it is a good deal, as priced. Waxing should be left until the vehicle is a few months old. Ask any auto painter and they will tell you not to wax until the paint has outgassed for a few weeks.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

I used this stuff inside and out, did my entire tub, undercoated my undercarriage and used POR15 inside my doors and window frame.

I put 3 coats in the tub and two coats underneath it costs around $150.00 I did not use the rollers or stuff that came with the kit I used a stenciling brush which worked better. Just follow the directions on prep if you don't you will regret it. It took me a whole weekend plus Monday after work to put everything back together. I get a lot of complements on the job I even did the door sills it also helps insulate and reduce road noise. I removed all the carpeting out of the Sahara which really works out well. When I was in the USCG I did the same thing with a vinyl paint we used on buoys inside and out when I sold the CJ 20 years later no rust. Maintenance and being anal are the keys for a long life in any vehicle. I had a 1973 Toyota PU that I bought new and when I sold it 22 years later with 500,000 miles on it no rust (buoy paint) and the engine only burned 1 qt of oil between changes. HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Sandman.. drive North my boy.. Visit the Wilds of Canada and while your here go visit either a Rust Check shop or Krown. I cant speak for Krown but Rust Check carries their own warranty on rust through for new cars and NO it doesn't void the manufactures. Your Jeep might cost you about $115-145 Cdn due to its new and never been done before.. they drill holes (yes holes) in your doors, lower pillars and rockers if the factory hasn't. The Gent I use here in Ontario has a big contract with two cities for their fire departments, the police contract, local utilities, a local Ford dealer sends customers there too and every Dec. 6 he does Santa's ride this year it was a nice new 05 stang (local dealer supplied it providing it got sprayed for free).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

[...]

hell i dunno....i never gave it a any thought before the dealer asked me if i wanted it.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

By the time he finnaly gets it delivered to West Nowhere (Billings), the paint will have had time to outgas form the sound of it .

Nate, you still local to Billings? Wife says we have to run up there soon - grandkids need spoiling.

Reply to
Will Honea

Nathan W. Collier proclaimed:

I'd check with any local undercoating shops in the area for what they charge and what they use. Some folks prefer the waxy style, some the more tacky tar style.

Reply to
Lon

In that case...save your money for the stuff you are really going to want...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo