Re: Motortrend article: 100 MPG+ Chevy Volt, GM's "Moon Shot"

I even picked up a so called eco car owner once, -35C west of Brandon Manitoba in my nice warm and safe V8 4x4. He was sure glad to see me.

Nope, many buy them for the way they can be used, year around and pulling trailers or boats. The fact you have a poor safety record in many a small sized crap boxes does not make it the truck drivers fault. I am sure hitting a deer with a semi or F150 has a much better survivability rate than a eco box. Your choice is not our problem.

Since driving a truck, smaller cars are often the nuisance. Especially red ones, don't ask me why, it is just an observation. They zip in and out, can't even see their rear plate on some cuttoffs and seen more that one with a semi up their rear. Not a pretty sight.

If this is a hard sell for a Volt, will not ever buy one. It can't do what I need out of a vehicle, so it might as well be junk. In fact, I don't know of an eco box that can meet my needs, the stupidity of paying so much for two power plants (Volt) exceeds the cost of the gas makes no sense. Why not

100% electric?

For example, are you telling me I should buy a Volt (POC) and have a truck? I only need one depreciating asset. So the cost of gasoline would have to be about $20/gallon before it made sense. Seriously, if I had 2, one depreciates without use. Spend $40K on a Volt, at least $5K/year in depreciation, added insurances, added maintenance, garage clutter... who needs it to save $1000 annually on fuel?

Yes, I drive my V8 4x4 to work, nothing in the back or in tow. Come weekends and vacations hitch up the boat or trailer and go. Haul stuff to the dump in spring avoiding a $250 pickup charge, pickup fridges, stoves, sofas, do this also for 1/2 my relatives. Even haul lumber and building supplied on handiman projects but you will not see that when I am in 7am rush hour M-F.

Don't be a presumptious ass when thinking what people use these vehicles for. Many might even have them so they can go skiing 3-8 times a year without renting a safe winter vehicle at $100+/day each time. You don't see SmartCars at ski hills unless being pushed in 2" of snow going down hill. You don't know what people use them for. Just a scared and pissed rabbit in an little unsafe POC.

Reply to
Canuck57

Uh, sure. I guess that proves a lot.

Nowhere did I say there isn't a place for larger vehicles. That's you imagining things in my post that weren't there.

Again, nothing to do with my post.

...and I suppose you've never seen an SUV or pickup speeding, cutting in and out of traffic.

Then why are you even reading and responding to a post about the Volt? Just to troll?

The short answer is yes. If you have a legitimate need for an oversized gas guzzler, then the socially responsible thing to do would be to get a vehicle for that, and something fuel efficient for your rush hour commutes. It doesn't have to be a Volt.

It's not just about the $$ that you save paying for gas. It's the fact that you're using less of a limited resource, as well as spewing less pollution into the atmosphere.

Yup, you are definitely a candidate for a second car.

Reply to
Mr. G

Are you buying?

Reply to