1997 TJ Dana 30 Axle Joints

I'm installing some new axle joints on my D30 and had trouble getting the correct axle joints (u-joints?). The first set was to small on the caps and I had to return them (after wasting a day waiting for a ride) to try and get the correct size. I took the old joint to Napa and they matched it up and found that what mine needed (according to their book) the u-joint for anti-lock brakes. Since I have no anti-lock brakes I thought this was odd. Did Jeep use anti-lock axles when the standards ran out on the line? Also, their book was incorrect for the front drive shaft. Mine has a constant velocity type universal joint at the transfer case (3 u-joints total) instead of just two standard u-joints like their book calls out for. I looked online and didn't see any other mention of this type of drive shaft on a TJ. Did I get a freak drive shaft??? Anyway, the different sized axle joints might be something to watch out for when your stocking up spare parts for the trails.

Tqm

97 TJ (Mystery Dana 30)
Reply to
Tqm

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Actually, Bill, he HAS Dana 44-sized u-joints, as do all D30s after '94.

(D25s & 27s didn't break u-joints because their powerplants didn't generate any torque!)

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

To answer your question about the front driveshaft, no, you didn't get "freak drive shaft". Obviously Napa's book is leaving a lot to be desired in the realm of accuracy. The front driveshaft on all the TJs I've seen is always a CV driveshaft. Only the rear driveshaft comes stock as a U-joint only driveshaft. And man, that front driveshaft ain't cheap to replace if you damage it on the trail :( but at least since it properly has the slip in the shaft rather than at the yoke, an unmodified stocker can still remove it and drive home without losing the transfer case fluid. ;-)

Reply to
Bob

The CV on the TJ is to compensate for the low pinion D30. I always thought it strange that they used a high pinion 30 on XJs & YJs, but then reverted on the TJ.

Reply to
Jerry McG