welding diff

i wish to turn my limited slip 12bolt diff into a welded posi.

it's a 76' pontiac TA with 3.73's. any pics or how-to's out there ??

thanks.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Bobo

Limited slip and posi are pretty much the same thing bud. Did you mean to say you want to turn your limited slip into a locker?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I think he's going for a "Lincoln Locker"... i.e. welding up the spiders. if it was me, I'd go find an open carrier in a junkyard to ruin, rather than trying to weld up a limited slip unit.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to
Bobo

I haven't seen anything get seriously BEAT on, but I did run across some cars that had it done.

They were front wheel drive cars, like Dodge Intrepids or something odd like that. They were driven by a stunt team at a local fair.

The cars were used to ride up a single ramp, so that they end up riding on only two wheels, usually on the driver side. The announcer for them said that in order to get power to the wheel on the ground, they had to open up the front wheel drive trannys and weld up the spider gears in the diff.

I think with a common diff like the GM 12-bolt, I'd spend the $40 and buy a mini-spool. That's SHOULD be stronger than a weld job...

If that blows up, at least you can slip the spiders back in to get around.

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

There ARE some how-toos out there. I think it's on Colorado 4x4's site or something. Look for mudding stuff. But basically, you want to weld the spiders in a pattern. Weld, valley, weld, valley, valley, valley, weld.

But I would do this on an open diff.... The pattern is so the spider gears can mesh with the teeth on the pinions for each half-shaft. If you just do every other with wont mesh too well.

And to anyone who knows, I can not think of what the valley is called on a cog?

~KJ~

Reply to
John Hutchins

Reply to