Who makes the best welding books or tapes for self-study.

Can someone recommend or share their expence of how they got an education in welding..This is one of the many skills that I wanted to lean but never had the time. Where would I go to get startd?

Reply to
Rob

What type of welding? mig, tig, arc? I learned to mig weld when I took a body shop class at the local junior college. I enrolled in the night classes twice a week after work. Other than that, I'd say go buy a welder and maybe hit the library. Also check this out.

Greg

Sams welding course.

Reply to
Steve W.

Your best bet would be a local community college. I took the air force version of the uncle sams welding course and hell i'm certified. but I still weld on the flying pigs so I gotta have it. Depending on what you are planning on welding MIG would probably be the best for ya. Its also one of the easiest to learn. and the beauty of it is you can pretty much weld most stainless, mild and aluminum (5xxx or 6xxx series). And a word of caution. If you go out and buy a speed glass helmet make sure it is a quality one. Even the most minute arc flash will kill your eyes. hornell speedglas are one of the best for the cheaper helmets and the go on ebay for around 200. happy welding

Reply to
sidewinder

I started at a community college. It was an off campus course at a local high school. Was well worth the time and money. We started with simple gas welding and ended up with TIG. I took two semesters, the second semester we actually welded up stuff people brought in. So we got to deal with the guys that wanted to weld an aluminum plate to a cast iron skillet:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
sidewinder

I learnt in high school. Find a good school that has night classes around, to become even a proficient welder you need _HOURS_ behind a stick. At the moment, my burn time would be in the weeks.... fun stuff!

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey