Hyundai or Kia. Who's at the top of the status list?

I was listening to the radio this morning and there was an advertising promo show from World Kia here in Las Vegas. The main theme of the program (other than selling Kia's), was that Kia was the premium brand, outdoing the Hyundai as far as luxury and quality. I thought it was the other way around, that Kia was the entry level vehicle from the Hyundai-Kia corporation in Korea. I guess it was sort of like the relationship between Chevrolet and Buick was for a while in the old days. Can someone please clarify this?

Reply to
QX

QX wrote in news:k3m193l2g9sn3aok344b8ko7jvrgudgi02@

4ax.com:

From the way I understand the relationship from magazines like Car and Driver, it is the other way around. Hyundai is supposed to be the more luxurious brand, while Kia is leaning more towards the sportier side of the equation. Advertising is advertising. My wife works in that business, albeit in accounting, and from meeting her co-workers over the years, I can tell you that just about anything goes as long as they can get your money from you.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"QX" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Kia made bankrupt and then it was bought by Hyundai. All tech news are first on Hyundai, then go to Kia, and Kia makes a good work on interiors and stylish shapes, engines and frames are Hyundai.

Zotto

Reply to
Zotto

I agree, it's the other way around. Hyundai is first with Kia second. Check with Planet Hyundai or the Hyundai Superstore in Henderson. Although they do share some common items, I'll stand behind Hyundai's. My brother has a Kia and he's happy with it, but paid as much for it as I did for my 2002 Sonata LX. Boy, did they see him coming!!!

Steve, AZ

Reply to
Steve R.

messaggionews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Well as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. I can't stand the looks of some vehicles from the KIA stable. The Amanti in particular! At the same time somehow even when sonatas where shaped in that Jag look alike form I liked them & now love them. I also dig the new Elantra............

Reply to
Vineeth

Have to agree with your assessment. First time I saw an Amanti, I though it had a very nice interior, but I did not like the outside. It just reminded me of something my grandfather would have bought in 1949.

Sonata was OK, but I would not consider buying one until the 06 model came out. I bought an 07 about 9 months ago. I've never owned a Chrysler vehicle either and probably never will because of their styling. One of the newer 300 models with the big grill is enough to nearly make me ill just looking at it. Somehow it got past their designers and into the market so I guess others like it.

Of course, I don't like coffee ice cream either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

well....to each his own I guess....I really like the Amanti....the first time I saw one parked on the street, I thought it was the new Mercedes....and then I thought that I suppose they forewent the usual emblem on the the hood because they kept getting ripped off......I walked to the rear and read the Kia badge....and wanted to buy one.... ...now after 2 yrs, I've just bought my Hyundai (2002) "Mercedes front/Jag rear .....I've replaced the ugly front grill with the chrome horizontal Korean one and debadged it and now I get asked every couple of weeks, What model Mercedes it is?..... BTW....I like coffee ice cream too....

Reply to
Krazy Kanuck

What? You debadged it? Are you some kind of krazy kid from the 1950's? We used to do that the first day we had a car back then. Now al kids do is buy expensive loud radios and wheels wiht skinny tires.

I don't like maple wanut ice cream either. My favorite is cherry vanilla.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

messaggionews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The Kia Spectra had the new platform and variable timing 4 cyl engine well before the latest version Elantra.

I look forward to comparing the Spectra5 to the upcoming Elantra wagon. I expect the Elantra wagon will be plusher and more expensive.

What surprises me is that there hasn't been a horsepower boost for the

2.0 liter 4 banger since its introduction.

L.

Reply to
Leonardo