1993-99 Transmission Recall

Does anyone have any more information of a recall for all (except Neon/mini-vans/trucks) 1993 to 1999 Chrylsler/Plymouth/Dodge/Eagle with floor mounted Automatic transalxes?

I got a letter from [Daimler]Chrysler today informing me that it is possible that the shifter ingnition/park interlock "may become inoperative" causing the shifter to move even if there is no key in the ignition.

Or, that the Key can be removed with-out the shifter in Park.

I never had this problem and (even tho I am going to get it fixed) I would like to know if any one in this group had such a problem

Now, if they would only have a recall on 96 LH driver seats. That would be of more interest to me!

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

I thought the seats were recalled. They were on my 94 LHS and 99 300M to fix bad bolts. Check

to be sure about yours or call your dealer. On the 94 they also fixed the tracks if they went bad but it wasn't a recall.

The transmission problem was found in rental cars which are more likely to be driven rough.

Reply to
Art

Never had the problem on our 93, wouldn't care if I did. Interlocks are stupid anyway- they make people dumb and inhibit natural selection. Besides, my '66 Dodge doesn't have any interlock and it's gone 38 years without maiming or killing anyone.

Stupid government waste of regulatory dollars wasted...

Make that 93-97 seats. Have you priced a new seat track assembly from Chrysler? $600 plus, just for the part. And of course you can't buy the drive motors or gear linkages separately, you have to buy a complete seat track assembly. Thank God for junkyards....

Reply to
Steve

I just got the recall on the floor shifter interlock problem in my mail yesterday for my 1996 Eagle Vision TSI. I've owned the vehicle since it was new (8+ years ) and never have experienced any problems in this area of the vehicle. I'll get the recall done any way, but I can't remember hearing of a single person who has had this problem.

On the seat bolt, I never got a recall for that and the seats are still fine. Maybe this did not apply to the power leather version on my TSI?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

But that did not include seats that had bad welds, which in my case, was use to hold the reclining device to the frame of the seat. When it broke, the back of the seat would no longer keep itself upright.

While there is a TSB on this problem, neither Chrysler or the government thinks it is much of a safety issue to recall the seats.

In my case, 2 boxes and a bag of insulation are all that is keeping my seat in a upright position.

And even with such a problem the car just pass (for the second year in a row) my state's inspection.

Which only seems to care if the seat belts were still working!

without maiming or killing anyone.

Well, my dad had a 62 Dart with the push button transmission, and he never left the car without not only putting the car in park. But, making sure that the parking brake was on.

And he didn't roll over anyone either!

Someone has to look out for Generation X

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

"Zentraleinheit" wrote

Wouldn't bother me at all. I've owned two Chrysler vehicles with the Acustar steering column on which the ignition key eventually was removable with the lock cylinder in any position. I found it very convenient and certainly didn't want to fix it. I've no use for shift/key interlocks, shift/brake interlocks or clutch/starter interlocks. They are devices designed to protect the stupid and abet the lazy.

DS (And while I don't agree with the perpetual spammer on the topic that they're death devices, I have little use for locking steering wheels, either.)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I had a letter on my 94 LHS that they were replacing driver tracks for free if they cracked. Did not affect operation but gave you a bumpy ride.

Reply to
Art

All first-gen LH car power seats use the same mechanism. And a true POS it is, too. One of the very few things that were actually fundamentally wrong with that car (another being the original A/C evaporators, and the most notorious being the headlamps) :-(

Reply to
Steve

Not the TRACKS, just the plastic inserts (guides) that serve as bearings between the seat and the fixed portion of the track.

Ah, but within a short period of time, the "bumpy ride" will cause the motor drive gears to start slipping if not outright strip... then the only fix is a complete new track assembly (the $600 solution) or a junkyard assembly (which probably needs new track inserts).

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the correction. So chrysler offered to fix the cheap part for free but if you didn't know enuf to get it fixed it would lead to a $600 repair that wasn't free.

Reply to
Art

DJ, I can't disagree with you on all of the interlock crap on cars nowadays, but I believe that it isn't only lazy and stupid drivers that have caused this, but our litigious society. The auto manufacturers have to try to cover their asses from ridiculous lawsuits somehow.

Reply to
Jimbo