1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme: Key Stuck in Ignition

I just bought a used 1995 Cutlass Supreme with an intermittant problem removing the ignition key after switching the engine off. I searched the internet and found lots of people with this problem (with all brands of cars) but no sure-fire fix for a GM. I have determined that when it fails, the transmission is not being locked into park. If I put it in and out of park and fiddle with the button on the side of the shifter, I can get the solenoid to fire and then key will come out. So I am guessing that the problem is most likely the button (switch) on the shifter knob, or perhaps the PRNDL switch on the transmission. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace or repair the shifter button switch (or whatever is causing this problem)?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Alverson