1994 Jeep Cheroke won't shift out of park

I saw some other messages that suggested that there might be a solenoid that is bad. This has happened to the previous owner when I bought the car, and he was able to jiggle the shifter or something and it worked ... until now. Is this something that is easy to fix? I borrowed a manual from the library but returned it a few days ago.

Reply to
New Old Jeep Owner

This is a common problem, my 96 GC also had it. The way to avoid it is to apply the parking brake before putting it in park. This avoids putting load on the park mechanism.

New Old Jeep Owner wrote:

Reply to
nrs

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Couple other items. The ignition switch has a park lock that keeps from shifting out of park if the ignition switch is not in off, run, or start. The ignition interlock tang at your switch could be extremely worn or the cable at the transmission could be out of adjustment.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Key switch in RUN and /service brake applied/ before it would shift out of Park, for both my current `96 XJ and my previous `89 XJ. The `89 was under a recall or TSB (I forget which) for a defect in the system. Hazy memory suggests that it was the shifter end of the affair that was the problem.

NOJOwner could try jamm> Couple other items. The ignition switch has a park lock that keeps from

Reply to
Lee Ayrton