1994 Caravan Starting troubles

I'm surprised at how many tire installers will not inform customers about bent wheels and install new tires on them anyway. Also, it makes me cringe to think how many installers have so much faith in the torque of the air gun.. whenever I get new tires, either I jack the car up at home and carry just the wheels to the tire store in another car, or I tell the guy I'm going to put the wheels back on myself with my tire iron right there on the spot.

My cousin's F350 lost a wheel a couple weeks ago because the dip$hit tire installer didn't bother to put a breaker bar and a socket on the lugs after buzzing them on with the air wrench. My cousin said, "it's a really bad feeling when you see a 41 inch tire rolling past you at 60 mph"... i'll bet it is!

Reply to
Nza

You have to much time on your hands

Not defending the loose tire thing but everyone makes mistakes. A rim, especially alluminun ones can be installed with an air air gun or even a torque wrench and still be binding at the hub and will loosen up after the vheicle is driving several miles. It has happened to me in the past as well.I wonder why your cousin didnt bother to locate what the problem was that was making noise before the tire came off??? Im sure it didnt just pop off with out a warning. And what kind of work do you do and what mistakes do you make? Do you erase your mistakes with an erasure or back space the the key board key?

Just a thought

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

That`s true..One time I was working on my old Astro van and intended to go back and tinker some more so I just laid the hood down softly instead of slamming it shut and before I knew it I had gotten 5 phone calls and had to do some online work and suddenly it was late and I decided to head home forgetting the hood wasn`t latched..Everything was fine until I got on the interstate and accelerated up to 65 MPH..I noticed the hood begin to flap slightly and instantly knew what was wrong but before I could even say, "Oh Sh*t!" and reach for the brakes the wind caught under the hood and pushed it like a sail and it slammed flat back against the windshield at 65MPH shattering it completely..Ugh.....But back to the tire thing...The local mass transit company recently changed from steel to aluminum rims on all their busses and didn`t change the wheel studs so as a result even bottomed out the lugs weren`t totally tight and a number of busses lost wheels...Who knows how many people changed those wheels or were involved with the process but no one ever thought of that little glitch

Reply to
Sara Brown

Ha! Reminds me of the hilarious scene in the movie "Canonball Run".

Mel Tillis was driving one of the cars in the cross country street race that the movie was about. He heads into this residential neighborhood just flying, and the audience can see he is headed into a cul-de-sac with a curb, some bushes just beyond the curb, and a swimming pool just beyond the bushes. The front wheels hit the curb, the car goes airborne, and the hood flies up and back against the windshield. With the car flying in the air, heading for the swimming pool, you hear Mel

*sing* - not say, but sing to his passengers - "I can't see shit can you!?".

(For those of you that don't know who Mel Tillis is, he is a real life country singer that has a stammering problem when he talks, but when he sings, no stammer.)

I don't remember much else about the movie, but I will never forget that scene.

Bill Putney

Maybe so, but I take my personal safety seriously. And I damned sure ain't going to take the word of Hector's air wrench when all he's thinking about is his next burrito.

I was a mechanic for about 8 years myself.. obviously, not to the credentialed level of yourself... I'm not saying I've never made mistakes and that I don't still make mistakes. Fortunately, though, none of my mistakes have almost cost someone his/her life.. True, the wheel coming off most likely gave plenty of warning, but I'm sure the radio was blasting (no excuse). Also, it's hard to hear stuff like that over the hum of the 41" tires and the 5 inch straight pipe.. I guess it *was* a bad example -- trucks like that shouldn't be on surface streets anyway. Georgia is pretty lax about rednecked trucks. As far as the backspace is concerned -- would be nice to have a real life one sometimes!

Reply to
Nza