1994 Sundance stalls/runs rough when cold

Hello!

I have a 1994 Plymouth Sundance that is giving me a lot of headaches when the weather is really cold (below freezing)... It runs rough to begin with and when accelerating out of an intersection it often stalls, leaving me dead in the intersection or in the middle of the road (kind of inconvenient at times)

I have replaced Spark Plug Wires, Plugs, Rotor and Cap, PCV Valve and hoses coming out of the valve cover (one that goes to PCV Valve and one that goes to air cleaner) I also installed the pre-heater hose that goes to the air cleaner as the previous owner apparently removed it. Although the car runs a bit smoother once warmed up after all this work, it still stalls on me. I really have no idea what else to check and hope someone else has had this problem and knows what will fix it. I have tried getting engine codes by turning the key on and off three times but it comes back saying no codes stored.

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you, Kevin

Reply to
Sinerviz
Daniel J. Stern

As far as I can see, all heater hoses are in check and there are no problems in the cooling system (no blockages or air pockets etc) as I just flushed the system and refilled it, making sure no air got trapped. The damper door seems to be completely shut when I start the car. I have yet to see it open up, but I have no watched it more than 5 mins after running. But it is taking in the air from the stove which is what it is supposed to be doing.

The only other thing I am having a problem with, although I am not sure if it is related, is the temperature gauge. The gauge always reads cold. I replaced the temp. sensor and it still did that, so then I went and replaced the gauge itself and it still doesnt work. if the car is sitting there idling (and its usually rough) and I unplug the wire that goes to the temp. sensor, the car seems to start running a bit smoother and the fan starts up. If I plug it back in, the fan stops and the engine runs a bit rough again.. is this any help?

Reply to
Sinerviz

The fan will turn on when you disconnect the coolant temp sensor and the check engine lite will turn on. Your vehicle is loading up at idle, you need to check the base engine vacuum at idle. If the engine vacuum is low (below

17) the map sensor will think that the engine is under a slight load and cause the injector to stay open longer thus a richer mixture. Start with the basic......Check engine timing (disconnect that coolant sensor to check basic timing) and then vacuum. There is also a TSB out for a cold start problem....18-08-94 Cold idle roughness (condition worse if engine speed is increased in neutral) and poor driveability, after a cold start, in 0 to 30 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. Condition lasts until the engine coolant temperature reaches approximately 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Instead of replacing the PCM, the 94 model will take a reflash. erase the software and install the updated software. This would be considered an emission update and should be covered under the extended warranty.

Glenn Beasley

Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The device you unplug that starts the fan and changes the idle is the temperature *sensor*. It talks to the SBEC (engine control computer) about the temperature of the engine coolant, but it does not talk to the dashboard gauge. The dashboard gauge is driven by the temperature

*sender*, which is a smaller device located not far from the sensor.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern