1995 Eagle Vision TSI shuddering

My 1995 Vision has a shudder that occurs during moderate accelration at about

16-1700 RPM and again, to a lesser extent, at about 2100RPM.

I've read at several message boards, including one that's based in the north of England, near the Scottish border, that the problem is in the transmission.

My car has 110k miles and is probably worth about US$3,000. Hence, I don't want to be saddled with a $3,000 repair.

Any suggestions about the nature of the problem and about how much it would cost to fix would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim JIMBO

Reply to
NJSS

My 94' 3.5 LHS has had this since 40k miles (purchased used @ 40k). I now have 110k on it. My guess on the problem is that it's ignition wire/plug related. I think it just plain misses while under heavy torque loads. That's the time when ignition misfires will occur just due to the circumstances. I've noticed that mine was better for a while after replacing the plug wires & plugs last fall (about 30k ago now) . This past summer with the AC on it was more noticeable and it seemed like it was getting worse than ever before (might have just been my imagination though). But lately it might only do it once a week or so and usually just on those long uphills when the engine is hot too. Someone on here mentioned that the plug wires on these cars have a tendency to arc just at the point when the boot goes into the head. I don't know about that but they also mentioned that Napa wires have been showing a good success rate so far in their tests. I'm thinking of trying them out too soon. After all it's only about $75 for plugs and wires if you DIY. Also, the xmissions have been known for shuttering and an additive (Lubeguard) is the fix for it. It's an Anti-shudder additive that helps. I've used it during one of my 20k fluid/filter changes and it did reduce the shuddering for about 10-12k miles. At that point it seemed to come back and I think the additive package probably wears out. (just a guess and MY OPINION) The last change was about 8k ago and the additive is still working ok so I don't think I currently am seeing that problem but I do have a definate "miss" while under a constant steady load 1500rpm - 2400rpm. If you find an answer let us know as there are others that see these problems too.

l8tr.. Steve m...

"NJSS" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com...

transmission.

Reply to