Eagle Vision Odometer

I just picked up a nice '95 Eagle Vision esi for a decent price. The only thing I can really see wrong with it is the odometer doesn't work. The speedo works just fine, so that indicates to me that the drive gear in the transmission is OK and it's likely to be a worn gear in the ODO itself. Can anyone point me at any resources for self repair of such a thing? Where would I get parts? Is it worth my time to do this myself, or is anyone aware of an outfit in the US that would repair it reasonable.

Reply to
Bruce Baxter

It's not really self-repairable (no parts available that I know of). You need to send it out. I use

-jim

Reply to
Jim

Olde-tyme thinking. There is no "drive gear in the transmission". The speedo and odo get their signal via the engine control computer (SBEC) which looks at the transmission's output speed sensor, which is wholly electromagnetic and not at all mechanical. There are only wires to the speedo head -- no rotating cable. The odometer itself (at the speedo head) is driven by a stepper motor. The stepper motor can be removed and replaced; go hit your local junkyard or

(searchable used auto parts nationwide). DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You're just looking for a flame war, accusing me of 'olde-tyme' thinking. How many of your average car owners even know there's a cable with a drive gear into the transmission on a traditional configuration.

Your comments are helpful though. I'll pursue the stepper motor. It's nice not to worry about squeaky cables. I had >>

Reply to
Bruce Baxter

Er...no, I was not looking for a flame war.

Irrelevant. *YOU* obviously knew that, and I was answering *YOU*.

That's what they were intended to be.

Nope, not on your car, otherwise I would've included it.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

One other question.