1996 Grand Caravan starting problem

In the last few weeks my 1996 Grand Caravan has had trouble starting. When you turn the key all instruments light up and you hear one "click". If you jiggle the gearshift lever up harder into PARK the car usually starts.

I was told the PARK/NEUTRAL switch needed adjusting or replacing. I took the car to the dealer who kept it for 2 days. First they said they would order the switch part, then the part that came in they said was wrong and they re-ordered it, then the second switch was wrong and finally they told me that there was no switch and instead it was just a "cable" adjustment.

They adjusted the cable and the problem has become much worse. Now almost every time I try to start the car it will not turn over and only about 50% of the time that I jiggle the gearshift lever will it start.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Andrew B. Brown

start, If you listen very carefully when you try to start it, see if you hear a click outside under the hood. You probably have a starter going out on you, Is this a 3.3 engine?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the comments Glenn.

No, this has the 3.8 engine. I had the original starter replaced at this dealer about 4 years and 50,000 miles ago.

I took it back to the dealer this afternoon and when they tried to move it forward for space in the service bay it wouldn't start again so at least they have seen the problem first hand. Again when the gearshift was pushed up it turned over and started fine. The service writer said since it started fine it "probably" wasn't the starter. Now he is talking about the ignition switch or something else in the column. I should hear more tomorrow.

Reply to
Andrew B. Brown

3.3 and 3.8 basically the same. It could still be the starter, but anyway good luck and hope they find it for you.
Reply to
maxpower

Andrew

I'v occasionally had the same problem with my 95 T&C. Interested to hear the resolution. I've just decided to grin and bear it as any work costs much more than the jiggling on the shift level which seems to cure the problem.

Peter

Andrew B. Brown wrote:

Reply to
peter denyer

if they still haven't found the problem the next time vehicle is acting up open the hood and have somebody start the vehicle for you while tapping the pcm(powertrain control module) located beside the battery.

Reply to
tdodge