1997 voyager stopped dead!!!!!

i have checked the plugs and cap and rotor....all ok....timing belt is good also.....the following codes are shown.....12,17,42, and 43 comes up 2 times. wondering if the pick up is bad in the distributor?...

Reply to
brian

On 11 May 2004 00:44:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (brian) spake thusly:

Cap? Rotor? Distributor? Color me curious. You must be in a different part of the world. Here in North America distributors were ancient history by 1997. My 1993 Grand Caravan has no distributor.

Reply to
Opus-

Your 1993 Grand Caravan also has a 3.3 or 3.8 litre engine, which uses distributorless ignition. The 3.0 uses a distributor.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You've got spark, so the pickup is fine.

12: Start of codes 17: Engine does not reach target operating temperature within expected runtime (usually a stuck-open thermostat) 42: Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay trigger circuit open or shorted *OR* fuel pump relay trigger circuit open or shorted *OR* no voltage detected on Z1 circuit when ASD circuit energized -- this is why your van won't start. 43: Cylinder misfire detected

You should've seen a 55 ("end of codes") after your last flash code.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No he has not "lost it". The Mitsubishi 3.0 litre engine in my old

1994 acclaim had a distributor. They probably still do! :(

That's why my m>On 11 May 2004 00:44:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (brian) spake >thusly:

Reply to
cloaked

If you dont have anything helpful to add.... dont post.. (2) it has a distributor and (3) the rotor was bad, changed it and it runs fine...so maybe you should look at yours again or put on glasses...................!!!!!!!

Reply to
brian

On 11 May 2004 17:51:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (brian) spake thusly:

I need your permission to post now? I made it clear that I was curious and was prepared to be educated, something that usenet was meant for.

Glad to hear.

What are you saying here? Are you insisting that I have a distributor?

You never said what engine you have and it appears to make a difference. I have a Chrysler built 3.3 L engine...and NO distributor.

Reply to
Opus-

Son of a gun..I never knew that. I thought that EVERYBODY got rid of distributors by 1997.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:16:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.yahoo.ca (cloaked) spake thusly:

Reply to
Opus-

I received a rather rude UNSOLICITED e-mail, and in accordance with my signature, here it is:

*-----Original Message----- *From: Samantha [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVED.net] *Sent: May 11, 2004 6:57 PM *To: snipped-for-privacy@telus.net *Subject: 1997 voyager

*thanks for the sarcastic reply to my post.......dont post if you cant

*be helpful.... and by the way... the rotor inside the diatributor was *bad ...replaced it and it runs fine............. so i guess it does *have a DISTRIBUTOR.................
  • Ignorant people like yourself.....should not talk about what they do
*not know about...................

Nice eh? All I basically did was to state that I was curious about the existence of a distributor in the 1997 model year, especially since my

1993 3.3 has none. Am I not correct that, in North America, distributors are pretty uncommon by 1997? I did use the phrase "color me curious" which makes it pretty clear that I was of an open mind about the subject.

I was not the least bit sarcastic...I was curious. A thoughtful person would have chosen to educate me and I would have welcomed it. It's what usenet is all about...learning. Brian was trying to learn how to fix his van, yet he chose not to provide any information when it was obvious that I was lacking knowledge about his particular vehicle. He still hasn't said what engine he has, which might have helped me learn and help himself in the process.

Original post and my reply below:

On 11 May 2004 00:44:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (brian) spake thusly:

Cap? Rotor? Distributor? Color me curious. You must be in a different part of the world. Here in North America distributors were ancient history by 1997. My 1993 Grand Caravan has no distributor.

Reply to
Opus-

You are not correct. There were plenty of distributors under hoods of new cars in 1997. They were growing less common, but were not "uncommon".

See, no, they weren't.

See, and neither did my '91 Spirit, but that's because it had the 2.2. My '92 Spirit, with the 2.5, has a distributor.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Quite frankly, I was shocked to see one on my 1994! I thought distributors had gone the way of the dinosaurs by that model year!

I LOVE the later model coil packs. WAY more reliable than the old distributors. The early coil packs were OK, but hard to get at. Now-a-days they have them right on top and in easy to get at places - just in case replacement is required. ;)

Reply to
Cloaked

On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:18:43 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern" spake thusly:

I stand corrected. I have no problem with that at all.

Interesting. I would have suspected that they would have tried to get rid of distributors across the board, at least in the interest of cost cutting...at least among Chrysler built engines.

Reply to
Opus-

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:28:09 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern" spake thusly:

Yep, 3.3 litre. I probably wouldn't have bought it if the engine were any smaller.

Reply to
Opus-

Its something that phased in over time as new engine designs came online. The 2003 Magnum 5.9 engine still had a distributor, simply because it would have been stupid to NOT use a distributor on an engine that had been designed with all the provisions for a distributor cast into the block. Why "plug the hole" and then tack on a DIS system with a bunch of external sensors? No cost savings or performance advantage at all. The Magnum V10, on the other hand, NEVER had a distributor going all the way back to its introduction in about 1994.

Similarly, the move now is away from simple distributorless ignition systems to coil-on-plug systems where there are not even any spark-plug WIRES. The first Chrysler engines I know of that used that setup were the 98 2.7, 3.2, and 3.5L v6 engines.

Reply to
Steve