1998 3.3L Grand Voyager engine noise

The noise is best described as clattering, similar to a diesel. I only hear it at low engine speeds, under 3000rpm, and not when the engine is cold. I always felt it was valve-train related. It is not the A/C comp, nor belt tensioner. Gas mileage has been consistently 17 mpg. city commuting and performance seems fine. I have rebuilt several engines over the last 30 years but I am most comfortable with the conventional V8's of the 60-70's. I am wondering if there is a "known" defect or TSB or any pointers the group can provide before I committ myself ( to the engine or treatment ) ?!!!

Reply to
Nunya Bizness

What you are probably hearing is the Generator. Assuming you already made sure the water pump is ok. Have the belt removed to see if the noise goes away, at least that will isolate the engine from water pump and generator.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

It could a stretched timing chain. I had the same kind of noise on my 93

3.3, when I got in there, the chain was pretty loose. Once I changed it the noise went away. It may not be your problem, but it's something to consider. Mine would make noise after the engine warmed up, so I wouldn't hear it when it was cold either.

nick

Reply to
ncs

Reply to