clattery noise at front end of my engine

1986 CJ7 4 cylinder (150K miles but engine was rebuilt at 90K) I was hoping it might be the fan......took it off. Still clattering . Maybe the alternator or power steering pump.......took them off. Still clattering OK it must be the timing chain. Opened it up and the chain is pretty sloppy and it has a chain tensioner device that's not even shown in my Haynes manual. I will replace these parts next weekend. Hopefully that will do the trick..........
Reply to
rjh44

twaldron

Amen to that one - happened on my wife's explorer........... Was really loud- never expected a harmonic balancer to clack-clack that loud.

placed a screw driver between my ear & every other part of that engine. By the time I found it the hole in the crank was stripped. I was going to heli-coil it. Everyone said it wouldn't work, but I figured I had nothing to lose. I had put a lot of other heli-coils in a lot of other places in B-52's, F-4's,F100's, SR71's, etc.......couldn't quite get the right angle or leverage & broke the tap in the hole. Had to pull the engine half out to get the tap out so I did the long block thing.

Reply to
Carlo

Reply to
rjh44

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

rjh44 did pass the time by typing:

Good to hear you found the problem.

If you don't mind, how many miles did you have on her when this happened.

Reply to
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

Nevermind.. Guess I should have read the post again.. the answer to my question was in there.

Reply to
DougW