1998 Neon 2.0 SOHC

Thanks for the previous answer.

I am trying to trace an oil leak somewhere in the region of the head. It appears to be emanating from around the driver's side (USA) end of the head, where the CPS and EGR units are located. It is difficult to see exactly where, though. What I would really appreciate is a picture (photo or diagram) of this end of the head, so that know what I am taking off!

I can just say that there are three units. At the back, is the EGR valve unit. Next to that is something on a square base, retained by four nuts/bolts, and it has a rectangular black plastic electrical plug attached to its centre. Then to the left and down towards the front corner of the head is a round electrical plug-in of some sort.

Could anyone please help me identify these, either verbally or with pictures? Which ones are prone to leaking, and how can they be repaired?

Thanks again.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Brian there are 2 places that will leak and are prone to leak on that vehicle, the first would be the cylinder head gasket, and that's the most common to leak. The second would be the cam sensor o-ring, it is to the left side (drivers) and will leak from that area to the block. Its the black square looking sensor with the connector.

If you google any oil leak on this vehicle, Im sure you will find many pictures and what ever other questions you are asking

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn - thanks for that. I now understand where the Cam sensor is. Believe it or not, though, I haven't found any useful pictures of it with Google.

Regarding the head gasket, I had that replaced (twice) two years ago, before they realised it was not leaking in the first place. This time around, the bottom of the CPS square baseplate is oily. I have oil running down the bell housing and finishing up on the floor just below the subframe member (near oil plug).

I guess that could be it. Can you please tell me what components I need in order to fix it?

thanks again.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

If you have that much oil leaking I don't think it is the cam sensor o-ring, This could be a rear main oil seal or a faulty head gasket. Just curious, was the head gasket repaired at the dealer? Do you know if the new style multilayered gasket was used? The correct way to diagnose an oil leak is to have it dye tested with dye and a black lite

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn-

It isn't a great amount of oil - just two or three spots per day in the drive.

I just looked at the CPS area and took off the electrical connector from the centre of the "black square thing" , which I presume is the CPS as you were referring to it. There was oil under the rim of the square base plate, but also inside the electrical connector! Is that where it would be if the O-ring was leaking?

I wish I had a diagram of this!!

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Sorry - I missed the other part of your message. Yes, it was repaired at the dealers, and lasted for about eighteen months without a drip. A "plug-in" turned out to be the real source of the leak then, but I don't know which one. I also don't know whether the new type of head gasket was used, but judging by the price (about $200) it should have been!

The O-ring. I am guessing that it seals the square baseplate to the head. Yes? So what is oil doing in the electrical connector?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

If oil is in the connector, the sensor is bad also, replace it and the o ring. The oil could cause drivability problems or cause the vehicle to shut down

Reply to
maxpower

OK - thanks again Glenn. I'll try that and see whether it is the whole problem. I hope so.

Brian

Reply to
Brian