98 Escort 2.0 SOHC help

Any help would be appreciated. I was looking to change the automatic transmission fluid on my daughter's Escort. The Chilton manual said that there was a drain plug, but evidently there is not. Anyway, all I found was a 22 mm hex head plug (looked like an oil drain plug) just to the left (driver's side) of the transmission drain plan. I took that off, but only a small amount (3-4 tablespoons) of fluid came out into my drain plan.

What also came out was a spring and a metal cylinder. The cylinder is about

1/2 in. in diameter and 2 in. long. It has a longitudinal hole through it's entire length, and at one end of the cylinder two lateral holes (four openings) have been drilled at 90 deg to the cylinder's length..

My problem is that I do not know which goes back in the hole first: the spring or the cylinder. Also I do not know which way to put the cylinder back in: hole-end first (up) or the opposite.

If anyone knows, please let me know as I am hesitant to run the car until I get it right. Thanks in advance.

-John Banister

Reply to
John Banister