Service engine soon light of 1996 Dodge Neon

Today, I noticed a Service Engine Soon light just after my car stopped running for several minutes. I thought that it was "low oil" or dirty air filter. I needed an oil change so I got one. Air filter was a little dirty so I didn't replace it. After the oil change, the light came back on and was on for a few minutes. I stopped the car for about 5 lines and restarted it and then I noticed the light was not on. So, I proceeded to Auto Zone to get a free check engine test. The result- Number Crossed - PO340 The Auto Zone print out states" The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the camshaft position sensor "A". (Bank 1 or single sensor) (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while Bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank). The car has about 91,000 miles. How good is the ODB II auto scanner? If the light stays off, when will the Service Engine soon light return? If I take this car to get fixed, about much will it cost to get fixed? Is there something else, I should test?

thanks

Reply to
David Sherman

You may want to check the CPS electrical connection, clean it with a good connection cleaner (Radio Shack), then put some dielectric grease in the female side of the plug and reconnect. If it continues you may need to replace the CPS but most of the tie it is the connector that is dirty.

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
tim bur

Update:

Also the Service Engine light came back up. I need to get the car fixed as tonight the car stopped. At first, the tach dropped to 0 and then bounced up and down a few times until it settled on 0. At the same time, the battery light and oil light on the dashboard come on a couple of times also.

I am concerned about the oil light, battery light coming on and the tach dropping to 0. The car restarted once I turned off the car.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

Reply to
David Sherman