2.2L Tirbo engine Reliability??

Hi everyone, I know someone who has a 86 Chrysler New Yorker with 70,000 miles and a 2.2L Turbo engine. I inspected and test drove it and looks great and runs very well. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the car or engine itself??

I currently own a '89 New Yorker (had it two months) with a 3.0L Mitsubishi engine. It runs/looks great!

Thank you,

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Go ahead and get it.

The '86, overall, is of comparable quality. The 2.2 Turbo is an equally reliable, more durable engine than the 3.0. The automatic transmission in the '86 will be a 3-speed with much better durability and reliability than the 4-speed unit found in many '89-up 3-litre cars.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The engines are quite reliable. The only thing to watch out for is that they have a habit of blowing the head gasket. I had the same motor in my

86 Omni GLH-T. Except for blowing the head gasket at around 100k, it was very reliable. I sold the car with 153k miles on it and the motor was still going strong.

------------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

A *well maintained* and properly driven 2.2 or 2.5 turbo engine is extremely reliable. The lower end of the engine itself shares the same bearing sizes as the old 440 and 426 Hemi v8 engines and can deliver well over 300 horsepower without mechanical failure (see some of the turbo minivan and turbo drag race websites). The net result is that it lasts forever at the normal output of

Reply to
Steve

My '85 dodge Daytona 2.2 turbo was still going strong at 196,000 miles. The

3-spd tranny in my '88 Daytona was going strong at 262,000 miles. All the cars that were based on the K-car platform are pretty bullet-proof, as long as modest maintenance is performed.

Reply to
Steve Raft

I have owned an 86 Dodge 600ES convertible with 140K miles, an 84 convertible Lebaron with 120K, and currently a 85 Lebaron convertible with 118K, all turbos, none ever had any turbo work done on them. The 84 blew a head gasket at about 100k. The 86 was still running like a top when I donated it to charity. I'm driving the 85. By 86 lots of improvements had been done to these engines in general for longevity and the turbo was better controlled. So

70,000 on a well-maintained 86 is not a great risk, these are water-cooled turbos and are pretty darn sturdy. And being on a New Yorker it probably had an easier life than if it was in Daytona...Frenchy
Reply to
mark french